Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

backcountry sleeping bag

Does anyone have experience with the Sierra Designs Zissou 12? I have been looking at them based off of Backpacking Magazines awards.

I was looking at getting this bag also. It looks pretty good and the latest Extreme Elk magazine had a sleeping bag review and this was said to be the best lower cost bag. I was close to ordering one and then campsaver.com had a Marmot sale so I ended up getting the Marmot Helium. I just got it yesterday and I was pretty amazed at how light it seems.

I'm in the same boat right now and have been researching bags. I firmly believe that the best gear we hunters can use on a backpacking trip is the same as higher end backpacking gear. So, for sleeping bags, both Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering will be at the top. Either will do you well, but I think I'm getting a Feathered Friends Swallow UL20 (http://featheredfriends.com/swallow-20-ul-sleeping-bag.html). This bag in a long version is 1 lb 13 oz!!

These bags are not cheap, but if you have ever backpacked in, set up camp, went to sleep that first night only to stay awake all night because you were cold....you will spend the extra money. Also, these bags will last for decades if cared for correctly.

Spend the extra money or save up and get a quality bag! I have a Marmot and two North Face bags and they don't compare with these higher end bags.

Thanks I may 'graduate' to a WM some day, since I need a tent, good pack, bag, and misc gear I had to spread the cost this year. I really want a BA flycreek UL2, I know there's got to be better than the $297 out there, not even ebay has a better deal...suggestions/websites, or anyone want to sell me one and upgrade?

I picked up a Fly Creek UL3 yesterday on ebay - new for $272 w/ shipping. The UL3 is really a 2 man and even though most of my hunts are solo, I need a bigger one for fishing trips, etc. with my fishing buddy and my kids. Best time seems to be November-January for those tents.

Does anyone have experience with the Sierra Designs Zissou 12? I have been looking at them based off of Backpacking Magazines awards.

I've been checking this one out as well. It has had good reviews on various sites. REI has them which makes it nice. I don't mind ordering stuff sometimes off websites...but if something goes wrong, it's a real PITA to try and get fixed sometimes.

Back on track...these seem like some decent bags from what I've read, and the price doesn't break the pocketbook.

I've hunted 2nd season elk in Colorado for years and I have seen extended periods of cold weather -25 degrees at night, we have even had the propane freeze so my advice to you is to buy the best bag you can afford and good luck with your hunt.

you may want to look into s o l products,,,they have a sleeping bag liner,"3 types" that is like a lined emergency blanket,,very light and small to put your existing sleeping bag in,,,seen it on "solo hunter" im looking into it also...sol stands for survive outdoors longer.

I've had good service from my Big Agnes Lost Ranger for the past decade. It's lost some loft so am looking to replace it .

How do you store it?? Are you hanging it up out of any stuff sack? Have you tried putting it in a dryer with a couple pairs of shoes for a little while?

How do you store it?? Are you hanging it up out of any stuff sack? Have you tried putting it in a dryer with a couple pairs of shoes for a little while?
Haven't tried the dryer shoes/tennis ball trick yet. It has not been stored in a stuff sack. I either hange it loose in the storage bag it came with or lay it out on a spare bed. I think the problem is that I'm pretty oily and have greased up the down. I really need to give BA a call and see what they recommend. If I can bring some loft back, I'll keep using it. If not, I'll just have to get a new one. I decade of service for sub $250 (at the time I bought it) isn't too horrible.

I didn't read all the posts here but wondering, is this a pack in, hike in or drive to camp ? makes a big difference - If it's a horse/mule pack in or drive to camp hunt I'd go with a Wiggy bag, with a bedroll (ebay has a really good one that a guy makes custom for less $$ than any others I've seen - I got 3 of them and LOVE them) and put a lightweight foam pad in it, the NEOS is great for backpacking and really lightweight apps but nothing beats a nice cushy foam pad on a cot OR ground

GK we will be backpacking, doing spike camps from base camp a couple nights, im trying to decide if i take a heavier meat hauler pack or stuff everything in a daypack and plan on a couple trips to get meat pack??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back