backcountry how far to far

wa_archer

Looking at doing a backcountry hunt this year for 3-4 days this year with dad. Im in great shape run and cycle all the time he is slowing down but will make it eventually. How far would you guys think for elk hunting being two of us and if we get one I would be packing 80% out. Looking at six mile in steady uphill most of the way. Am I thinking to big? any tips thanks

So here my opinion, and take it for what it is. I think the average joe walks in the 3-4 mph on a level terrain and no hunting gear. Once you add weather (snow/rain/wind) into the equation that will slow you down a bit. Now add 30-40 lbs of hunting gear and elevation change, etc. I would guess the inshape person would be more in the 1-2 mph range. 2 miles in an hour I think is hard pushing. I feel I am in decent shape and feel anything in the 3 to 4 hours worth of hiking would be sufficient.

Now when I go out in the general rifle season for utah in october, I am setting camp up and then walking/hiking in to a spot about 2.7 to 3 miles in. This way if I down something I will be able to gut/cape it and grab some meat on the first trip back. Then I can drop off the rifle, spotting scope etc. You know non essential gear to lose weight. I should be able to do a complete pack out in one day if I am all by myself, and down an elk early in the day.

Either way you look at it, just remember if you push hard in, and down an animal, then you will be pushing harder coming out.

An honest to goodness 6 mile hike in is a long way to pack an elk out all by yourself. If you are not familiar with the gutless method then I would look at how Randy did it in his youtube video. I do it the same way only take the meat off the leg bones to reduce weight. A good size bull is going to take you three or four trips plus you also have all your gear/camp to get off the mountain as well. Last year I shot a decent 6x6 which I packed out on my own and I was glad that it was only 4 miles in. I am in pretty good shape at 47 years of age and two more miles added to that pack out might have been the end of me. Terrain is also a factor. Not all mountain ranges are the same, so keep that in mind. Going down a steep hill with a 70-90 lb. pack on is almost as hard on the body as going up the hill (esp. the knees). Good luck on your hunt, having to pack an animal out is always a good problem to have, but you are smart to decide what your limits are before you start the hunt.

Last edited:
Be aware that "in shape" for running and biking is quite a bit different than in shape for hauling out an animal. Your hips and feet will probably wear out.... Unless you are superman you'll have 4-6 trips, each one more than 12 miles. How many of those can you do in a day? That is more hauling than I would want to do by myself. Even 2 miles can be tough if you don't know what you are doing.

Most guys would be surprised how an honest mile from the truck feels with a rear quarter from a mature bull. I wouldn't think about hunting elk 6 miles in without horses, and I think about hunting elk daily.

Sadly I think a lot of meat gets left in the woods when people realize the repeated death march required.

I would hunt 1/2 to 2 miles from a road if were me. You and your dad will probably be alone a mile from the road.

It would make a HUGE difference if that 6 miles is on a trail and what kind of elevation gain you are looking at.

I would say 6 miles on a trail would be equivalent to 2 or 3 miles of bushwhacking.

On elevation gain I would hate to try to gain more than 1,000' of vertical per hour on a trail, probably double that if you are bushwhacking, especially with a pack.

6 miles in on a trail with 1,000' of elevation gain (assuming you are going downhill with the meat). That would be pushing the limits on packing an elk out 80% by yourself, but doable if the weather cooperated and you planned on it taking you a couple days of back and forth trips.

6 miles in completely off trail with 3,000' of elevation gain. No way no how I don't care how good of shape you are in.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Last edited:
I think if you shoot an elk 6 miles in it had better be the trophy of a lifetime. Packing elk out is tough. While you might hold up under that kind of strain, keep in mind that, for your dad, it will turn the fun of hunting with his son into a backbreaking ordeal.

I will echo what others have said: most people aren't going to go more than a mile or so from the road or their rig. 6 miles seems like a long long way. Unless you are absolutely positive that the area holds big elk, ask yourself, what makes it better than a place that is 2 miles in, besides the fact that it is 6 miles from the road.

When I find a place that looks good on the map, I do what I call the compass test. I make a circle with a radius of 1.5-2 miles, with the center being the likely hunting spot. If no part of the circle touches any roads that will be open to motorized vehicles during the hunting season, it's a good bet I won't see too many other hunters. Just a thought, but there might be a place you could hunt that will make the experience more enjoyable for your dad. Good luck.

Thanks guys yeah its all trail in not positive the elevation ill have to look. The way out is all down hill but trail follows ridge lines nicely so never really steep. Its more about getting to elk then away from people so much. I have only seen one herd close to road and area is wide open for glassing. Ive done some very steep snowy pack outs before so I know the pains of getting an elk out actually never had a trail to use which is why not sure on how tough longer distance but easier hiking would be. Hopefully get another scouting trip in before season and see how the weather goes. Hope for some cooling trend up high

By the way, if you have snow on the ground, one of those sleds with a harness designed for cross country skiing makes it pretty easy to bring out an entire elk (boned out) in a single trip. I'd consider 6 miles under those circumstances. You might also be able to hire a horse to pack it out.

If you make another scouting trip load up your pack with a whole lot of weight and call it a test run.

I've been doing some research on backpack hunting a wilderness. If it helps, this is what I have found thus far:

Wilderness. Approx 8 miles in. (7 day trek)
Rent Sat phone w/ minutes: $150
https://www.roadpost.com/Iridium-Satellite-Phone-Rentals-P704C279.aspx
$350-400 held to pay for possible game retrieval.

It is a solo trip so the sat phone works two fold:
1. Hope it pacifies my wife... (Emergency use)
2. Call for game retrieval from location.

No way in sam heck will I be able to pack out game that deep in and to be frank, I would not touch it 4 miles I w/o a game cart (Not permitted in the wilderness).

Last edited:
I suggest using a bounding or relay type of strategy getting in getting anything out.

For instance; if it's 6 miles back to the truck and you think you have to make three trips, break it down into three two mile legs. i.e. - move the entire animal/meat in three, two mile trips at a time. Three two mile trips back and forth is usually (while it's the same total distance) a little bit easier. Just allows for more breaks and I usually feel the fatigue less.

Also, you might want to slow it down on your way. I think most of us would agree that the time out there is the most important no matter if we're to our final destination or not. Plus, you might pick up on some other opportunities along the way.

I think that if you have to ask, you need to keep it closer than six miles. That makes each load 12 miles (after hunting and getting meat ready) times four loads (plus camp).

With a game cart, sure. On your back, probably too far. Start closer.

I am guessing you are going to walk past a lot of elk in those 6 miles. If you are going to pack out 80% of the load, you are talking about 3 loads minimum, at 12 miles round trip, that is 36 miles of packing, say you make 2 MPH, you are talking 18 hours under the pack. hope its cool out, so the meat doesn't spoil, and you better stop hunting about 3 days before you have to be on the road home cause it will take you that long to recover the thing. If you have a couple guys that gets more manageable, but for basically one guy, you might be biting off more than you can chew.

If I was in your shoes I would figure out where I could knock an elk down about 1.5-3 miles form the truck.

I am guessing you are going to walk past a lot of elk in those 6 miles. If you are going to pack out 80% of the load, you are talking about 3 loads minimum, at 12 miles round trip, that is 36 miles of packing, say you make 2 MPH, you are talking 18 hours under the pack. hope its cool out, so the meat doesn't spoil, and you better stop hunting about 3 days before you have to be on the road home cause it will take you that long to recover the thing. If you have a couple guys that gets more manageable, but for basically one guy, you might be biting off more than you can chew.

If I was in your shoes I would figure out where I could knock an elk down about 1.5-3 miles form the truck.

Bingo!! This man speaks the truth....

Hard to plan for weather or no weather. It is a crap shoot. Aside from screwing yourself up packing a load downhill (knees) over and over again, you WILL want somebody to put you out of your misery after the first load. You may, or may not, lose some meat. Not that I have ever done something like this when I was in my early 30's. Just keep an open mind to what some of these (extreme) guys are saying. Best of luck to you though.

I made the mistake of killing an Elk way to far in one time. When you are humping ice back in after coming out with the first load of meat,you will understand what it feels like to be STUPID.

I thought I was big and bad a few years ago and thought that it would be no problem going in 8 miles with no horses etc. (i even have horses). What a mistake that was. I dropped a decent bull about 7 miles from the truck. Glad it was cold out and the meat was close to freezing and I could get cell coverage from the top of the trail I made in. After 2 loads out, I was done for. I had to swallow a lot of pride, call the old man for help. I did nothing but sleep and eat for almost 2 days after that. And I am considered to be in great shape. I did a 75 mile triathlon 2 weeks before that and didn't feel as bad as I did hauling that bull out. Now I arrange for a packer or help if I'm in past 3 miles.

I packed out several elk over the years, but never farther than about 3.5 gps miles from the truck. I packed a couple elk off a near vertical ridge on the Mescalero Indian Reservation one year and it about killed me. My left hip is still bad because of all those stupid pack-outs.

If you are young, you can do it, but the weather had better be cool so that the meat stays good. I would not get in a hurry, either. Do it over a couple of days if possible. Make sure that you bone out all of the meat. Hauling bone out of the woods on your back is stupid and bones hold heat, also.

I agree with some of the others in that you should research the area closer to the truck. You will passing lots of elk to get 6 miles in. Chances are, there are elk right at the truck until the pressure starts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back