AZ unit 27 late elk? Just got a call

Dieseldog

So I just received a call from AZ G and F that a tag was returned for the Dec 1-7 hunt. When I didn't draw early I quit paying attention down there. What's the moisture situation been down there this year. I have 14pts I'd lose so weighing my odds of taking it or accumuting points for another 5 - 6 yrs and look for some lower end early hunts. Thanks

What early rifle hunt would you plan on drawing in 6 years with 20 points?
I don't know of any you can draw right now with 20 points.

My son drew that tag too.

I’ll offer a slightly different view on moisture. Contrary to reports I had been hearing from that region, particularly from a buddy to the east just across the border in NM, the biologist I heard from indirectly said moisture in a lot of 27 wasn’t actually that great. So he said you’ll see some breakage and less than primo growth.

That said, I’d say go hunt it if you’ve got the time.

My son drew that tag too.

I’ll offer a slightly different view on moisture. Contrary to reports I had been hearing from that region, particularly from a buddy to the east just across the border in NM, the biologist I heard from indirectly said moisture in a lot of 27 wasn’t actually that great. So he said you’ll see some breakage and less than primo growth.

That said, I’d say go hunt it if you’ve got the time.
The outfitters probably already got the last of the 440 bulls of the season but I don’t think it’s a bad or even average year…

The outfitters probably already got the last of the 440 bulls of the season but I don’t think it’s a bad or even average year…
Yeah that’s one thing I dislike about Arizona is that it’s outfitter laws definitely keep more pressure on the top end but the top end is higher so it’s probably a wash in the end

I will say that I have a friend that guides in 27 and he said it’s really dry, at least in the part of the unit where he hunts.

Id have a hard time passing on any AZ bull tag
Yep, can’t believe someone would apply for a tag, and then ask the internet if they should take it. AGFC shouldn’t be so accommodating to give someone extra time to get the internet’s responses. Either Yes, I applied for it and I want it, or No, I made other plans.

I had an early archery tag in that unit, this year. Seemed kinda dry there to me, the creeks down in the canyon and ravines were barely a trickle. Only 2 of the 5 waterhole on top the mountain where i was held water and one of those dried up by the end of season. Lots of elk there and a lot of nice bulls around.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back