AZ General Archery?

Western-Huntr

So my sad story is that I come from Upper-Midwest Whitetail loins and I am about to embark on my first Western archery hunt/s this year. We relocated to Arizona almost two years ago and since then I have hunted 0 times! This is not good! I have not even been back home to chase good old Whittie around!:(

Never the less, I am going out for the early and then late General Archery season, with hopes of scoring my first Mulie. I did say hopes and not expecting right? My problem is, we live in the North Valley of Phoenix and I have NO idea where to even begin. Back home, put me in any set of woods and I'll at least see Whitetail. I may not harvest one, but I will see them. Out here, I am lost!

For anyone in AZ or who has hunted for Mulies out here, how would you recommend begining and do you have any general direction to head? Any and all insight would be/is greatly appreciated!

My suggestion is to head to the north country (Junipers and Pines) for the early season. Most of the southern units aren't open for the early season and those that are will be just too dang hot to enjoy it. Get yourself a good pair of binos as you will be doing quite a bit more glassing then you did back home. You can do a tree stand but would have to be up a lot this summer doing some scouting and putting up some cam, which isn't a bad thing.

For the later hunts in December and January get out in the surrounding areas of Phoenix and start glassing. Once the rut kick in you will be shocked to find deer out and about on the desert floor. You have a chance at seeing some nice bucks too. If you're in to driving a bit further then headed south into the 36's and you will be able to see a TON of mulies down there (along with illegals). They are a lot of fun to hunt but tough down theres as they always seem to run in really large herds with a lot of eyes to bust you.

It's going to be different for you but it is a lot of fun.

As a starting point, I would go to the AG&F website. Each unit has description of what game and where the best concentrations are. Its not gonna give you gps cooridinates by any means, but will help you get started. Once you get out and start seeing them, you'll get a better undertanding of what and where to look for them. Good luck!!

I am in the same boat. Been out a few times this year looking and saw deer. Hope they are still there come Aug. 19. I just hope the whole state don't burn down before then. Another fire just started this morning.

Thank you for the replies thus far. It will be a learning experience and I am hoping to get back to the Midwest this late fall/winter as well for some Whitetail hunting. All of my big game hunting out here will be by bow as well, making things that much more difficult.

Brohime.....

At least you have been out and seen deer. That would give me some confidence anyway. As for the the fires, the whole damn state will burn, along with others. It is just way too dry (last rain we say was in February), July 4th hasn't reached us yet, the lightining storms haven't started yet and there are too many idiots that go to the mountains that have no idea what they are doing with regards to fire.

Ok, rant over and back to the topic.

It's the idiots that kill me. I hope to be in the woods twice a month tell early August. It's tough because there a so many people EVERY in the spot weekend that I have seen deer and cow elk. But they are there.

Western....

You get out to Ben Avery to shoot being in the north valley? They have some 3D shoots that are very fun and not bad on the wallet. I'm up north too and love the place.
The midwest is definitely on the ol bucket list, with that said there is nothing like a big bull elk within bow range. I have had that happen once......... But I had a cow tag and had to eat tag soup.

AZ Mule Deer

I always make the same recommendation to every new mule deer hunter. Get your hands on a copy of Mule Deer, Hunting Today's Trophies, Pursuing the Gray Ghost by Jim Van Norman and Tom Carpenter. It is no longer in print but copies are usually available on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Once you read this book you will understand why you are having difficulty finding mule deer and hunting them will become much more fun.

There are more deer in the desert than you can imagine. I moved here 3 1/2 years ago and started putting out cameras. I was shocked at the number and size of deer captured digitally within 100 miles of downtown Phoenix. You live in bowhunter's heaven being able to buy OTC tags for deer and having a reasonable chance to draw an elk tag as well. I've drawn three rifle tags and one archery tag for bull elk in the past 5 years. My wife also drew three rifle tags in the same period, including the year I did not draw. This season will make 5 straight years we have hunted elk in AZ, two years as non-residents. This year will be my first bow hunt for elk during the 9/9-9/22 season.

As sturge wrote, you need to study the Game & Fish website to get a start on choosing where you want to hunt.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units.shtml

Make sure you stay hydrated during the summer. Start your day with two quarts of cool water before you leave the house, avoid caffeine by refusing coffee, tea and soda, and keep drinking water throughout the day. I usually get into the desert well before dawn for the hike in to a glassing spot by daybreak and get back to my vehicle by 10AM. Makes for a short day, but I have a hard time hiking when the temps get above 90.

Good luck. AZ is a great place to hunt.

Thanks for the advise given on the book sagebrush, I've just ordered one from Amazon. Thinking about taking the $500 they want to ship my deer mount from Tuscon and putting it on gas to come out and deer hunt in January. Hope you get some rain soon.

Back