Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

ATV's going up horse/human trail

Never thought about being watched but could be a possibility, l know one individual who always has a trail cam set up to survey his camp site while he's away, they keep some pretty valuable stuff at camp.

I get where you are coming from, but destruction of personal property is not the answer and would drop you to their level. It would probably get you a bigger fine than the people riding where they shouldn't be.

I could see some dead trees falling across the trail after they go by.

Well then, what if the spark plugs wire somehow ended up under the seat? ;)

Not sure where you're at but in CO if you can get a picture of the registration # sticker, which is supposed to be visible, of the vehicle with GPS info the Forest Service will just mail them a ticket. At least that is how it works with snowmobiles in the winter here, I would have to imagine they might do similar for ATV's. We have snowmobiles violate our hut boundaries or enter non-motorized areas and if we can get pictures of the registration # and the gps info or the hut visible in the background they just mail them the $250 ticket, no investigation or waiting for officers to come out and catch them in the act.

I've done the same thing here in Montana. They don't mail a ticket, but I have had pictures of the registration sticker and the ATV in all angles. One time I even took pictures of the riders. They didn't like it, but oh well. mtmuley

Stand in the middle of the trail and refuse to move. Ask him WTH are your doing?

Yes, many a hunt has been spoiled by an ATV coming on the scene. However, just make sure you know the facts as they actually are. Here in Colorado, using the official, free, National Forest maps, many areas have a marking on those maps, often depicted with "X's" overlaid on the hunting area. This indicates that between noon and the end of the day, an ATV can be operated off road to retrieve downed game.
Around here, there's quite of country that's marked that way, and yet it would be a big challenge to get an ATV upslope, over blowdowns, rocks, and other obstacles to actually succeed with that.

Came across a guy parked in a WIA here in CO the other day. Really annoying after I had just hoofed it the 2 miles he drove through. Called OGT (barely enough signal) and they were unavailable as it was "after hours" ... There really needs to be a way to officially report this stuff without having an officer come in person, as the individual was probably going to be driving out any moment.

Even simpler: On the left handgrip control pod is a red switch, the Engine Stop Switch. Very few riders use it and forget it is there, most just turn off the key. That means they don't expect it to be off, and may kill their battery trying to start w the switch on Stop.

I read a post here that advocated putting nails, etc. on a closed trail to stop the problem of driving on closed road.
It made me think of a guy around here, that took a backhoe, and dug a deep trench across a road behind a gate, to stop trespass by non Govt. or emergency vehicles. That situation made me think that with a little investigating they might be able to prove who did that? Now, imagine a hunter that's been accidently shot, or has some sort of life threatening emergency. Someone with the hunter is able to either call out, or use a satellite device to call 911. When the Sheriff and/or an emergency vehicle come up that road to intervene in the medical emergency, they are stopped short by their tires being flattened. What's commonly referred to as the "Golden Hour" is long gone, the victim dies, and later, it's made known had emergency intervention arrived without the vandalism, the victim would have had the benefit of medical interventions. Now, comes the victim's family's attorney that will file the lawsuit of lawsuits against the enterprising vandal who's actions prevented a prompt response. Get the picture? I'd think twice about taking the law into your own hands.

The huggers were spiking trails here with those giant spikes to mess with the hunts up near Flagstaff. You can't be serious about spiking a trail where people could step on them as easy as an ATV.

Reporting it is all you should do. Doing ANYTHING to someone else's property can end in some real bad things for you. I really wouldn't want to be the guy messing with someone else's property when they walk up and have a gun in their hand.

Like they say, there's 2 sides to every pancake. Atv riders are increasingly being shut out of public lands and we're getting sick of it. Montana has had literally millions of roadless wilderness acres for years but it's never enough. Forest service, blm are continually closing existing roads and creating default wilderness areas. People need access to our public lands. Not everyone is 30 years old and able to hike 20 miles. I'm in my 60's with 2 worn out knees. I can assure you I've worn out more than my share of hiking boots and horse shoes on my horses and mules in my younger days. Remember my friends were all going to age, I never thought it would happen to me and trust me there will come a time when you won't be able to put the miles in. I don't really care if I kill anything anymore I just want to get back in the woods and take some shorter walks.

Like they say, there's 2 sides to every pancake. Atv riders are increasingly being shut out of public lands and we're getting sick of it. Montana has had literally millions of roadless wilderness acres for years but it's never enough. Forest service, blm are continually closing existing roads and creating default wilderness areas. People need access to our public lands. Not everyone is 30 years old and able to hike 20 miles. I'm in my 60's with 2 worn out knees. I can assure you I've worn out more than my share of hiking boots and horse shoes on my horses and mules in my younger days. Remember my friends were all going to age, I never thought it would happen to me and trust me there will come a time when you won't be able to put the miles in. I don't really care if I kill anything anymore I just want to get back in the woods and take some shorter walks.

Pretty sure people in this thread aren't advocating a total ban on ATVs or side-by-sides - they just want riders of such vehicles to follows the laws that apply. If areas you want to hunt are closed to motor vehicles, it doesn't matter what your mobility limitations are. Closed is closed. Horseback might be an option for those who cannot hike. The opportunity is still there, but you have to adapt to the law.

If you think too much land is being closed off to ATV riders, you might want to try to organize with some other riders to self-police a little bit. Some outlaws are ruining opportunities for others.

I've had good opportunities on bulls go bust because of riders illegally riding in closed areas. My temper has been tested on more than a few occasions and I've considered taking the law into my own hands, but let my cooler self prevail. I've taken pictures, GPS readings and sent to Forest Service and called AZG&F without any response at all. I'll keep calling. I usually carry an extra python cable in my pack just in case I need to lock up a special tree that happens to be next to a trespassing quad.

I heard of an outfitter that when they found an ATV where it shouldn't be, they pushed it a few yards away and drained the oil. Then put it back where it was.

ATV's have their uses and when used legally and responsibly we have no problem with them. It's those that use them illegally and tear up the countryside that are the problem and we are sick of it.
A few years ago my son and I were bow hunting at the end of a two-track near a spring. We put a sign on a box where the two-track left the main road stating "archer on stand." Just as we were approaching prime we watched a clown on an atv drive around our sign which was in the middle of the road and drive up to where we were hunting. Needless to say the evening hunt was ruined for that day. A little respect from the atv rider would have been nice.

th (3).jpegproperty damage.jpgp1090443-nx.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure people in this thread aren't advocating a total ban on ATVs or side-by-sides - they just want riders of such vehicles to follows the laws that apply. If areas you want to hunt are closed to motor vehicles, it doesn't matter what your mobility limitations are. Closed is closed. Horseback might be an option for those who cannot hike. The opportunity is still there, but you have to adapt to the law.

If you think too much land is being closed off to ATV riders, you might want to try to organize with some other riders to self-police a little bit. Some outlaws are ruining opportunities for others.

I've had good opportunities on bulls go bust because of riders illegally riding in closed areas. My temper has been tested on more than a few occasions and I've considered taking the law into my own hands, but let my cooler self prevail. I've taken pictures, GPS readings and sent to Forest Service and called AZG&F without any response at all. I'll keep calling. I usually carry an extra python cable in my pack just in case I need to lock up a special tree that happens to be next to a trespassing quad.

That python cable lock is a good idea! I'd take it a step further and see if organizations like BHA or even the BLM/Forest Service would issue those cables to anyone who wanted to pack one in. The cost of buying those cables could be offset by the fines the offenders had to pay for getting those cables removed from the ATVs. Put those cables between the spokes on the wheels so they couldn't drive off if they're not parked close to a tree. The offenders could then call the agency to get the combination to the lock after providing their registration and drivers license/social or something that ensured they'd have to pay a substantial fine.

Ya, "closed is closed" but the reason it's closed in many cases is pure bullshit. That's the point, there's too much "closed" and it's getting to the point where some of us will say the heck with it and go around. Horseback is a nice option, like you said, but horses are very expensive and time consuming and certainly not for the average guy. Also your argument about outlaws ruining it doesn't hold water. Sure a very small percentage ride off trail or something but let's not overreact. Shall we close the interstate because a small percentage of drivers throw litter out the window, no we deal with it.

Pure bullshit to you. But to others its not. Sorry your finding it harder to get around, but allowing more motorized access isn't going to improve the hunting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back