Yeti GOBOX Collection

ATV for Antelopes? To bring or not to bring

VolunteerHunter

I am in the beginning stage of planning for my wife and I's Antelope hunt in Wyoming next year and was wondering if it would be beneficial to bring my polaris ranger with us? This question has probably been asked and answered already but i couldn't find it. I'm just wondering if anyone else brings theirs with them? Hope everyone that is hunting is having success and God Bless.

Antelope are light and usually you stalk them. You do not need an ATV. Better and experienced hunters on here. You will get some opinions!

bobbydean thanks for the response. Im not worried about getting them out or even the walking. I was just wondering about the conditions of some of the roads as I have been reading that the get pretty bad when it rains. Now I have a 4 wheel drive but its 3/4 ton diesel which is heavy in the front and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere would suck. That would be my only concern is not being able to get to some areas due to bad roads. Again thanks for the response

Leave it home. I took one to Wyoming once and it never left the truck. Some of those units are so big that a truck is needed to cover it.

Leave at home. In six trips I've only seen roads in bad shape maybe 2 or 3 days. Get chains for your truck and you should be fine.

I took mine one year and it was a plus for the spot that I hunted. I could not have gotten a big truck down the road that got us to some amazing hunting. Generally, though, I would say they really are not needed. Your gas and your choice.

Do not own. One.Never needed one.I do not like them running all over while I am hunting.

Probably would depend on the unit you are looking at but in 4 trips I have never wished I would have had one. Maybe if you post the unit you might find guys that have specific info. I also drove 3/4 diesel, no problems. Bought a set of chains, never got used. Now traded truck and have them for sale, as tire size changed, pm me if interested.

For antelope hunting you just need some degree of 4x4 capability to get to a point where you can walk without being swarmed by trucks or ATV's. You have to listen to the weather forecast and get back to better roads if its gonna thunderstorm all night or accept that you may have to wait a day or so until the sun dries out the trails to get back to a road if you are many miles offroad. I ran into an outfitter last year that hunted out of a late 90's Subaru outback, so that should tell you the extent of 4x4 capability required to be successful.

I don't think anyone who hunted Wyoming antelope shot more antelope because they had an ATV over decently capable truck and the willingness to put miles on boots. I see no issue with bringing an ATV you have and using it legally to save beating up your truck.

I don't like ATV's personally while I'm hunting because their users tend to tow the line of what is an established road or generally legal hunting practice. That's certainly a shared sentiment around here for the most part. That said I'd be happy to run into more lawful ATV users because if used correctly they have less impact on the 4x4 trails than a full sized truck at the same speed.

I've been to wyoming antelope hunting 4 times in the last 6 years, we have never brought the 4 wheelers, in a unit you have to do a bunch of driving I would think that having some wheelers would save some fuel, but for the most part you don't need them, hunted 3 different units, 4 wheelers I don't think are needed on most wyoming antelope hunts. 4 wheelers are popular cuz of the laziness of our society these days, i.e. road hunting the mountains....
Matt

I went last year and planned on getting into a very large Walk-In area, in a limited public access area. Huge, Huge wash out on the road in, just before I got there. 10 square miles of planned hunting area completely cut off. An ATV would have at least let me take a look-see. With nobody else being able to get a truck in there, what would the possibilities have been ???????

I went last year and planned on getting into a very large Walk-In area, in a limited public access area. Huge, Huge wash out on the road in, just before I got there. 10 square miles of planned hunting area completely cut off. An ATV would have at least let me take a look-see. With nobody else being able to get a truck in there, what would the possibilities have been ???????

Isn't that the whole idea of a walk-in area? Not having to deal with other people on atv's or trucks.

Do not own. One.Never needed one.I do not like them running all over while I am hunting.

I agree with Rooster 100%. One of the areas where we hunt chukar and quail is being ruined by @$$holes on atv's. Not only are they riding them up and down the washes where you could never drive a truck, they are riding them up the hillsides chasing the birds as well. Atv's have become the bane of hunting.

Depends on the unit and the weather. I take mine every year. Two of the last 5, I was the only one hunting because a truck couldn't get off the county road and nobody is walking with 6" of mud on the bottom of their boots.

As an aside, walk-in areas are not vehicle free. Many have roads open to travel.

I would think an antelope hunt it would not be necessary. I take mine on elk and deer hunts for the mountains and contrary to what most believe, they are great to used as a transport back and forth to trail heads or hunting areas. If your unit is closer to the mountains than say southeastern WY then it might save some wear and tear on the pickup. I drive a 4 door longbed and I can damn sure put a smaller footprint on the road with my 4 wheeler than my pickup. Not all that drive atv's are lazy and drive off the trails! If the noise of ATV's is too close to your hunting ground then turn down your hearing aid or walk further from the road!

I have never even loaded my four wheeler up for an antelope hunt. I live in antelope country though so get to pick when I go. If I were traveling to hunt and had the room I would probably bring one.

What WapitiBob said about them, as some units can get very nasty quickly if it rains and render a pickup useless.

Thank y'all for responding and offering all good advise. Even though y'all all have different opinions and advises, I appreciate the time y'all took to respond and give it. To quote my dad about advise " A wise man don't need it and a fool won't take it". I hope everyone of you are having a great hunting season and God Bless.

Isn't that the whole idea of a walk-in area? Not having to deal with other people on atv's or trucks.

I agree with Rooster 100%. One of the areas where we hunt chukar and quail is being ruined by @$$holes on atv's. Not only are they riding them up and down the washes where you could never drive a truck, they are riding them up the hillsides chasing the birds as well. Atv's have become the bane of hunting.

This is the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back