Yeti GOBOX Collection

Arrows.

old man

I am new to carbon arrows and there are so many different ones i am very confused. so looking for suggestions on an arrow for elk hunting . I am shooting a Dimand Intrigue with a draw length of 29inc and a draw weight of 55 lb. with a release.

I would go with a heavier arrow for elk. I would think just about any archery shop could fix you up.

You can easily get around a 450 grain arrow with your draw length and still keep decent speed, which would be a good all around weight for elk and deer.

How do i go about finding a 450 grain arrow? i believe you multiply the given grains per inc time inches of draw length, Right? That would mean i need 15.5 grains per inch. i have never seen an arrow advertised as such.Also would like a suggestion on brand.

Yes, inches x gpi. Then ads approximately 18 gr for vanes, 11-ish for an insert, same for the nock, plus your tip/broadhead weight..

Emrah

For reference, here's my setup for my 61# and 55# bows, both shooting the same setup:

Easton Axis 340 spine cut to 27". It has a 75gr brass insert for more forward of center (foc) weight. Tipped with 100gr Slick Trick broadhead. Total weight is 463gr. A 340 spine might seem too stiff for those setups, but that heavy brass insert up front helps to weaken the spine. They fly amazing out of both of my bows. They are flying at a whopping 246 fps out of those bows, but with that high weight and foc, they hit like a brick and penetrate amazing.

When researching this you might get caught up in people talking about minimum speed or kinetic energy (KE). Well KE means squat. It helps with advertising to sell bows and broadheads. KE means nothing once the arrow touches the animal. Momentum is what penetrates. Keep that in mind.

Emrah

You probably want a 400 spine arrow.

I switched to Easton FMJ arrows a few years ago and have been very impressed with them. Prior to that I've used Carbon Express, Carbon Tech, and Gold Tip. All of them worked well, but I like the Eastons better than all of them for various reasons.

Whatever you choose, make sure (based on grains per inch - gpi) that your arrow is up around 400 grains total weight or higher. This includes the weight of your point, fletchings, nock, and insert. 8 gpi or higher would be best.

I just purchased a dozen Carbon Express Piledriver PTX shafts and am happy with them. I think I had them cut to 27" and fletched them myself. 4-fletch with 4" vanes and 125 grain heads has them at 499.3 grain total arrow weight. I won't set any speed records but I'm certain they will hit hard! Hopefully I get to test them on an elk in two weeks!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back