Caribou Gear Tarp

Arrows for elk

I am shooting 390gr Easton Injexions with Slick Trick Mags. I am shooting a 65lb Hoyt an I really like the arrows, they fly well and I have only ruined two arrows in two full years of shooting them and both were shooting at small critters with rocks around them.

I have killed a bull and buck since starting to use them and they performed as they should. The deer was a 40 yard shot and the elk was 14 yards. I don't really worry about my arrow weight a bunch, prior to shooting these I used to shoot carbon tech cheetahs that weighed only 320 grains out of a 60lb bow. I shot a bull elk at 53 yards with that arrow and got 95% pass through, the broad head sucked and when I pulled it out from under the hide on the far side it looked as if it was shot into a pile of rocks.

The only reason I switched to a different arrow was because the carbon techs were too easy to break, it seemed like anytime I shot anything besides a target with them they were junk. They are super straight and fly like darts though.

I believe that shot placement is key and arrow choice is just a personal preference, I also don't shoot a large magnum rifle and have killed plenty of elk and deer. There is a point where the only difference a heavier arrow / bullet makes is how far it will travel when it exits the animal. A dead animal is a dead animal regardless of what arrow killed it and a poor shot is a poor shot, a gut shot with a light arrow will be just as hard to track as a gut shot with a heavy one.

I am shooting 390gr Easton Injexions with Slick Trick Mags. I am shooting a 65lb Hoyt an I really like the arrows, they fly well and I have only ruined two arrows in two full years of shooting them and both were shooting at small critters with rocks around them.

I have killed a bull and buck since starting to use them and they performed as they should. The deer was a 40 yard shot and the elk was 14 yards. I don't really worry about my arrow weight a bunch, prior to shooting these I used to shoot carbon tech cheetahs that weighed only 320 grains out of a 60lb bow. I shot a bull elk at 53 yards with that arrow and got 95% pass through, the broad head sucked and when I pulled it out from under the hide on the far side it looked as if it was shot into a pile of rocks.

The only reason I switched to a different arrow was because the carbon techs were too easy to break, it seemed like anytime I shot anything besides a target with them they were junk. They are super straight and fly like darts though.

I believe that shot placement is key and arrow choice is just a personal preference, I also don't shoot a large magnum rifle and have killed plenty of elk and deer. There is a point where the only difference a heavier arrow / bullet makes is how far it will travel when it exits the animal. A dead animal is a dead animal regardless of what arrow killed it and a poor shot is a poor shot, a gut shot with a light arrow will be just as hard to track as a gut shot with a heavy one.

Excellent point, A poor shot is a poor shot. no matter the arrow or caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back