PEAX Equipment

Arrows for elk

NM Elk Addict

Hey gang!

I'm looking for a little feedback on hunting arrows. If you get a moment or two can you post your favs and least favorites. Maybe even a word or two on why. I've read all the stuff online, but it will be interesting to hear how the real world is experiencing the performance of the arrows on the market.

Much thanks.

I've killed elk with everything from 700+ grain 2317 aluminum arrows down to 400 grain Gold Tips. After 27 years of archery hunting elk I am shooting 520 grain Easton Full Metal Jackets.

Reasons.....

I am tired of shooting broad heads faster than about 275 FPS due to the inherent instability they cause at least for me.

Secondly, heavier arrows will out penetrate ultra lightweight arrows every time shot out of the same bow and they will do so with less noise.

Thirdly, Any shot beyond 40 yards I always range so flat trajectory isn't worth the trade off's involved with going ultra light IMO.

Lastly, the Eastons are a super solid product. No complaints at all!

I use Gold Tips and they have always worked great for me. I buy the mid grade components but overall they are very economical. I've used gold tips for a decade and although I'm tempted to change, I've stayed with old faithful.

A few of the guys I know like the Easton FMJ's for the reasons mentioned above. I shoot a fairly light arrow now and I would like to use a heavier setup. If I did, this is one of the arrows I would try.

I shoot Easton full metal jackets. They are a touch heavier but they are more rigid than carbons too. I like that they pull out of targets a lot easier than carbon arrows as well.

Disclaimer: I've yet to kill an elk with my bow, hopefully my 1st archery elk hunt this fall will be a success.

I played the speed game (think 8.2ish gpi) for a few years chasing whitetails. I was hunting from the ground one morning when a bruiser of a buck came in scent checking a shelter belt for doe. I shot him at 3 yds from the ground. Perfect shot tight right behind the shoulder. Upon retrieval I found about 10" of the vane end of my arrow still inside the chest cavity. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I had a dead deer and all was good. The following year I had a dandy of a buck at 20yds and some how my shot ended up a little far forward. My arrow connected squarely with the shoulder and failed to penetrate enough to enter the chest cavity. Bad day for all involved on that one.

I dwelled on the 2nd occurrence for some time and it brought me back to thinking about the 1st scenario.

My arrow should have easily passed through the deer in the 1st scenario. Whether or not a heavier arrow would have penetrated the shoulder blade of the 2nd deer, we will never know.

Since switching to Easton 340 fmj (11.3 gpi) Ive had pass throughs that have stuck in the ground like they were shot directly into the ground.

I'll be hard pressed to switch to anything else. The trajectory really isn't a huge deal for me out to my max of 70yds. My bow is quieter with the heavier arrow, they pull from targets like a dream, and they are tough.

These experiences are all from a modern day 70lb compound bow. IBO speeds between 320fps and 360fps as I switched equipment a couple times.

I've killed elk with everything from 700+ grain 2317 aluminum arrows down to 400 grain Gold Tips. After 27 years of archery hunting elk I am shooting 520 grain Easton Full Metal Jackets.

Reasons.....

I am tired of shooting broad heads faster than about 275 FPS due to the inherent instability they cause at least for me.

Secondly, heavier arrows will out penetrate ultra lightweight arrows every time shot out of the same bow and they will do so with less noise.

Thirdly, Any shot beyond 40 yards I always range so flat trajectory isn't worth the trade off's involved with going ultra light IMO.

Lastly, the Eastons are a super solid product. No complaints at all!

This^^^^^^

I shoot this exact 520 gr. arrow at 80 lbs. Penetration is amazing and they group awesome! I shoot ALOT and have yet to have one issue with any of my FMJ's. Even the regular 400 FMJ is plenty heavy without adding a brass insert. I just like my arrows 500 gr+ personally. Less noise, quieter, and more penetration is what you will get with a heavy arrow. Good Luck!

Without a doubt EASTON FMJ's been using them basically since they came out and can't ever see myself changing imho there is nothing better.

I am a easton fan all the way and have shot either the Axis FMJ or the Axis n-fused for some time both have preformed well and I don't have a reason to change but... If Elk have died from cedar shafts adorned with turkey feathers from a simple piece of stick and string i think i must overthink it all far too much.;)

I just found a little shop that had a couple dozen XX78s hidden out back. If it isn't broken don't fix it !!

Thanks for all the feedback. Your info is different than what all the mags and articles seem to say. I really appreciate that y'all have help me to shine light on my search for a great hunting arrow. If you have a hunt, good luck to you. If you didn't draw, may Lady Luck shine upon your r entries for many years to come. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. Blessings.

Writers are pimps for manufacturers. Its just the nature of the game. If they don't tout the latest and greatest over the tried and true, they won't get invited to "test" new products on private ranch hunts in the future and their publishers will can them for killing advertising revenue. I would do the same in their shoes because it would be my duty to my employer. There is always something positive to be said about any product. Good on you for asking.

I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers but I'm an old school guy because I'm old. At least with some things. There seems to be a lot of focus on pass through shots. There is only one good reason for a pass through and that's entry and exit blood loss for tracking. There is no additional damage done internally and yes, they die very quickly if shot in the right place and we all want quick humane kills. Here is the part that will raise an eyebrow or two. You don't want a pass through. You want a big heavy broad head bouncing around in the vital area of that animal shredding the internal organs. I know it slows down the tracking time but with the right broad head, there is sufficient tracking blood coming out around the shaft of your arrow and the broad head cut. And as you guys know, when that animal is on it's death run, the tracks stand out like a train that just derailed off the tracks. This also helps with the not so great shot because that broad head is cutting every time that animal moves and if you just missed a vital spot, you now have it. Anyway's this was an arrow question not a broad head question. I shoot carbon express. Have for years. Not super fast but fast enough. G5 broad head and I do occasionally get pass through. Most stay in and a 3 blade broad head does a tremendous about of damage. By the way, carry your ladies nail files in your arrow box. Open up those knocks. You don't want them tight. Just a soft snap on the string. Remember guys, before you start yelling, these are just my personal opinions.

I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers but I'm an old school guy because I'm old. At least with some things. There seems to be a lot of focus on pass through shots. There is only one good reason for a pass through and that's entry and exit blood loss for tracking. There is no additional damage done internally and yes, they die very quickly if shot in the right place and we all want quick humane kills. Here is the part that will raise an eyebrow or two. You don't want a pass through. You want a big heavy broad head bouncing around in the vital area of that animal shredding the internal organs. I know it slows down the tracking time but with the right broad head, there is sufficient tracking blood coming out around the shaft of your arrow and the broad head cut. And as you guys know, when that animal is on it's death run, the tracks stand out like a train that just derailed off the tracks. This also helps with the not so great shot because that broad head is cutting every time that animal moves and if you just missed a vital spot, you now have it. Anyway's this was an arrow question not a broad head question. I shoot carbon express. Have for years. Not super fast but fast enough. G5 broad head and I do occasionally get pass through. Most stay in and a 3 blade broad head does a tremendous about of damage. By the way, carry your ladies nail files in your arrow box. Open up those knocks. You don't want them tight. Just a soft snap on the string. Remember guys, before you start yelling, these are just my personal opinions.

I see your point.....I'll stick with pass thru's though;)

I've been shooting Easton acc pro hunters for a few years now, absolutely love them, but have been told and read they are being discontinued despite them still being on eastons website. I'm not looking forward to looking for new arrows when my supply runs out. I'm not a fan of the hidden inserts or outsert systems on some of the newer smaller diameter carbons.

Killed 4 so far with CX Maxima Hunter arrows.. 2 mechanicals. 2 coc.. 70 lbs

I prefer a lighter small diameter arrow with a 125gr broadhead. Something like an Axis. This year I am trying the Victory VAP 350 shafts with my standard Slick Trick 125gr Magnum head.

My goal is a 400gr give or take arrow. The Axis/Slick Trick has worked well for me on several elk and a bunch of deer with complete pass through performance. I don't expect anything different with the Victory shafts.

My personal view is to balance arrow weight with speed to get something that you are confident in. I like and have had good results with a faster, lighter setup. Others have good results with heavier and slower setups. They both get the job done as long as you are not at the extremes of each. A super light arrow doesn't penetrate, and a super heavy arrow takes a year to get to the animal and limits your range.

Jeremy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back