Arizona Unit 27 Late Bull

forest_freak

New to this site but hopefully there are some others out there that can help me out. I'm a non-resident that drew Unit 27 Late Rifle Bull Elk in Arizona. I've been to Alpine a few times but have never hunted elk in this unit. I drew with two buddies and we are planning to leave for the unit a week before the opener to scout and hopefully find a couple good bulls.

My question: Is there anyone willing to share some places were they would suggest we start looking. Right now we intend to backpack into the Blue, but would stay on top if we could find some good mature bulls. We feel that with the less hunting pressure in the Blue, we have a better chance of finding a mature bull.

It took me 8 years to draw this tag so I want to make the most of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Congratulations on getting your tag. I have a late rifle hunt as well, but in a different unit, I'm in 22N. Everyone I have talked to has told me to find the roughest area you can and do alot of glassing. I was scouting and ran into a longtime hunter who has been willing to take me around the unit I have to show me spots where bulls hang out late in the season. The two big things I have learned are to find their paths from their beds to water and food, and get out farther where other hunters don't feel like going. This is also what they said at the RMEF dinner.
At the RMEF dinner they had a ton of tips for early season hunters, but when it came to the late season, that was their best advice. Good luck on your hunt!

Good luck up there. There are good bulls all over that unit and the Blue Wilderness is no exception. If you want to stay on top, look south between Alpine and Hannigan Meadow.

cant go wrong with wilderness areas. very little pressure. most guys will not get out of their truck on that late hunt. it can get pretty damn cold. In unit 1 during the 2010 late hunt every night was below zero and highs in 20's. I would also check out wallow fire burn.

27 Late Bull

Anyone else have any info they are willing to share: about hunting unit 27 late rifle for bull?:)

I hunted there the year of the burn. I will look up my map for the area and try to help you out
Dennis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back