Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Arizona Suggestions

RJH

Read Randy's article in RMEF this month very good wish there was 5 feet of snow here in AZ. Will be heading out next week just east of Payson elk hunting between 5,000 and 6,000 feet - projected weather forecast for the next 10 days is near 70 during the day and around 40 at night. The elk have been bow hunted, muzzleloaders have had their shots, then came gun season, oh by the way there has been a couple of deer and bear hunts in the area and now it is November and me and Mathew, that is my bow, will wandering through the woods looking for these little rascals during the second bow hunt. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Scouted some nice bulls in September but they were no where to be found in late October - so I am thinking deep canyons and/or water and possibly a helicopter.

RJH

Definitely go to the most inaccessible, thick spots that you can find. Those AZ bulls drop off the rim when the snow gets deep, but with pressure, they probably will do the same and end up in the steep canyons.

Hunt around the edges of the golf courses. The elk will also hang around between Payson and Rye just above the desert. There are tons of side roads to cruise around on. They also like to hang around the East verde river. Sounds crazy but its true.

I seen a small herd about two miles in off the highway a couple weeks ago while deer hunting in Rye. They were just milling around through the cactus and small trees. Id never seen them that low while it was still that warm before.

I will be hunting in 23 - like the golf course suggestion - live on one here in Phoenix and have had the urge a couple of times to nail duck or goose but passed but a bull elk may get me interested. Is Tonto Creek flowing? Was over in Sierra Ancha off of 203a deer hunting a couple of weeks back and it was really dry no water anywhere and the tanks were dry or had 30 guys sitting on them. There seemed to be more hunters than deer even in the wilderness area - went in 4 miles saw 7 guys.

Scoped out a couple places up near the rim in 23 and place or two near the rez that looked promising but everything was quite when I came back to check a few weeks ago. Guess find water and sit.

Ron

You have an atv or limited to foot? I've got my GPS out and can give you some good input in a bit via PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back