Arizona desert sheep tag!!!

I don't post much on Hunt Talk (with the obvious exception of what turned out to be a lengthy recounting of my 2013 Arizona desert sheep hunt). Nevertheless ...

I had waited for over 30 years to draw that tag. Although the final outcome was less than desired, it really was the most awesome hunt of my lifetime! To all you who looked in and followed along, I hope you got a glimpse of what an Arizona desert sheep hunt hunt might entail (I acknowledge my hunt was anything BUT normal). Thanks again for all your comments ...

That being said, I wanted to remind everyone that tomorrow, Tues. June 10, is the deadline for applying for the 2014 Arizona desert & Rocky Mtn. bighorn sheep (and deer) hunts. Know that unless you have maximum bonus points for Arizona sheep this year (which is 25), there are several hunt unit numbers for which you have absolutely NO chance in drawing! Apply wisely!!!

It's evident I'm not the expert when it comes to hunting desert sheep in Arizona, but should any of you want to talk about hunting desert sheep here in Arizona, or about the application process, I'm a phone call away, day or night > (480)760-3868. If I can't help with an answer you're looking for, I can direct you to those I know here in Arizona who can.

And, yes, I'm applying again this year for desert sheep in Arizona (only 1 f-i-l-l-e-d tag per lifetime per sheep specie). You just never know --- a 13-year-old girl drew a resident tag last year with only 1 point.

Good luck to everyone in the sheep draw this year!!!

I also want to give a shout out again to BuzzH for his success in tagging a beautiful ram in Dec. 2012. Until you've hunted desert sheep yourself, I don't know if you can appreciate everything a hunter puts into his/her hunt. You can read his account here:
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=253126

This pic says SO much:

Attachments

• Hunt - BuzzH's contemplating his sheep hunt success.jpg
    Hunt - BuzzH's contemplating his sheep hunt success.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
That pic breaks my heart, yet reminds me that as hunters we must remain humble. Thanks for sharing and taking us all along for the ride. You gave me that much more desire to want to chase sheep.

I recognized Buzz...I guess I should have been more clear. All of that hard work and you didn't get the same chance to reflect on similar results the way Buzz did. Just sayin...30 years you waited for the tag, it went unfilled and you still had the hunt of a lifetime.

Another point for me this year. Tom's story made me more interested in hunting sheep than I've ever been but also made me realize that I'm not near ready for a sheep hunt. I don't have the time, experience or know how to do it justice yet. Maybe I'll pull a Kaibab rifle deer tag instead this year and have the best deer hunt of my life so far.

David:

You'll probably never feel like you've gained enough experience or know-how to hunt sheep like an "expert." Don't let that delay you from applying for an actual tag rather than just for bonus points! You'll have offers of help from other Ariz. sheep fans (should you want it) when you do draw that tag, believe me (and there's n-o way your sheep hunt will take as long as mine).

I've got 20 years on you. Probability says I won't draw another sheep tag here in Arizona while I can still get about. Y-o-u could draw a tag in 10-15 years, it could be n-e-x-t year --- you never know. We're NOT guaranteed how long we'll live or how long our health (knees) will allow us to hike the hills. Time doesn't stand still. I say --- apply for an actual sheep tag EVERY year!

BTW, for some reason the service(s) our state G&F dept. continue to choose to run the Ariz. big game draws falls short of the mark again! This year's sheep and deer application deadline has been extended to 7 P.M. today, Arizona std. time (same as Calif. daylight time) ...

My #1 ram finally made his way off the top of the mountain a couple weeks ago. Good luck to the tag holders in the hunt unit this coming December! BTW, sheep tag fees are starting to show up on guys' bank accounts ...

Attachments

• Hunting - Butkus June 2014 #2.JPG
    Hunting - Butkus June 2014 #2.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 227
Tom-
Wish I'd read this before I chickened out and put in for a bonus point only. You're 100% right about the No Guarantee on our time clocks, so I'm done checking the "points only" box from here on out. I did luck out and pull that Kaibab tag (exactly which hunt - late or early - unknown) so I've got a good opportunity to grow my hunting experience level, which is in considerable need of growth. Even for just a mule deer. :eek:

Good luck to those who have a set and applied for an actual sheep tag.

David:

You'll probably never feel like you've gained enough experience or know-how to hunt sheep like an "expert." Don't let that delay you from applying for an actual tag rather than just for bonus points! You'll have offers of help from other Ariz. sheep fans (should you want it) when you do draw that tag, believe me (and there's n-o way your sheep hunt will take as long as mine).

I've got 20 years on you. Probability says I won't draw another sheep tag here in Arizona while I can still get about. Y-o-u could draw a tag in 10-15 years, it could be n-e-x-t year --- you never know. We're NOT guaranteed how long we'll live or how long our health (knees) will allow us to hike the hills. Time doesn't stand still. I say --- apply for an actual sheep tag EVERY year!

BTW, for some reason the service(s) our state G&F dept. continue to choose to run the Ariz. big game draws falls short of the mark again! This year's sheep and deer application deadline has been extended to 7 P.M. today, Arizona std. time (same as Calif. daylight time) ...

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back