MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Archery grouse

Irrelevant

Has anyone actually killed a grouse with a small game tip? I swear I've probably shot a dozen now, using both G5 small game tips and the judo points, and have yet to have one not fly off. My hunting partner rolled a nice blue this weekend with one and it just got up and flew away. The only success I've had is with actual broadheads, but that game gets expensive quick.

I have never used a small game tip for grouse. I was lucky enough to find someone else's arrow on the mountain 2 years ago and that was my grouse killer that hunt. Other than that lucky time, I usually keep a "busted" broadhead in my quiver for the grouse. By busted, I mean a tiny chip taken out of one of the blades and didn't feel comfortable using it for anything other than grouse.

Do you know where you've been hitting them with the game tips? Wonder if you have to center punch them or head shot with them to be effective?

I have had great success with judo points on mountain grouse... But I have also buried a few into trees on those misses as well.

I killed one this morning with a Judo point! He went about 10 yards but I got him. Chicken fried in almond flour with some potatoes and eggs for lunch.

Seems to me if you center punch one with anything they aren't going anywhere.

I've definitely lost more judo points than grouse. I aim for center mass and typically have to chase em for about 10-20 yards afterwards.

I've killed a bunch with judo points, but I have had several fly off after what I thought were good hits, including one with an arrow hanging out his butt (eventually caught that one). I just aim for body center. I've also lost or broken more arrows than I want to admit too. And it is irritating when they fly up in the tree and laugh at you. Some years after archery season I will go back with a shotgun to "get even". This year has been tough for some reason, I haven't even got a shot yet. One I shot last year was near the edge of a cliff, and even though he was "dead" when he was flapping around he almost went over, luckily got hung up on a branch with just a few feet to spare. That would be an embarrassing way to die, killed while trying to retrieve grouse!

Last edited:
I hardly ever lose arrows but it just seems that they always fly off, down a mountain. I have to assume they die, I can't imagine getting hit with that much energy and surviving, but once they lock those wings and sail away I can't ever find them. I was thinking of going to the Guillotine Broadheads with flu flu arrows.

I've lost quite a few arrows to grouse and left some good puffs of feathers in the field, but at 17 yards, this one didn't get away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 248

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back