PEAX Equipment

archery equipment help

Legendary

Hello everyone I recently found out after 10 years of applying I finally drew an Arizona bull tag. I am just wondering if I need to change my arrow setup from deer to elk what I am mostly finding is the arrow should be around 450 gr. My arrows now with 100 gr broadhead are 350 gr.do I need to change my arrow/broadheads or will I be ok? I shoot a 70lb pse dreamseason evo. Thanks in advanve for any help

What type of broadhead do you plan to use & at what speed ? They both make a huge difference.

If it were me and it wasnt going to mess my FOC up i would try 125grain heads with some weight inserts to get to the 400+- 10 grain weight.

It might mean changing arrows but imo you will want a heavier arrow

No doubt your setup will kill a bull just fine. My son shoots about that weight and killed one at 40lbs.

Through my own unscientific testing of penetration, speed and noise I really like 400-450 weight. If your arrow spine can handle it without becoming a wet noodle, do like fez said and try the 125's and possibly some inserts. If you shot a mathews or hoyt I'd say stick with the feather weight arrow but that PSE will throw 400+gr to well over 300fps of silent death if you have any draw length at all :)

Congrats on the tag! Good luck and have a fun hunt, post plenty of pictures and a story.

I am currently shooting 100 gr g5 montec cs. As for the speed last I shot it through a chrono it only read 289 for the average but was blowing through the hay bales at 70 yds when a freind of mines was in the bow chronod in the 310 range and was only getting 1/2 arrow penatration at 50 yards with the same arrows so I might have chronod it wrong somehow.

I was just reading about arrow weight tubes has anyone had experience with those?

Thanks again

Many years ago when I lived in AZ and was new to hunting there, I too was concerned that some of my current rifle/load, bow/ arrow combo's might be less than ideal for the hunting there. Fortunate for me, I was able to befriend an old-timer local who once told me "if everything is working slickity-clickity...don't screw with it. Just go hunting. " D@mn good advice that has served me well for over 25 yrs.

If you have a "judo" head or something with a flat tip they sometimes chrono better. That and/or lighting messed with your readings. Not that speed means too much anyhow but at 350gr your rig should chrono 325+ with a 28-29" draw. I shoot a '08 Dream Season 7" brace that did 330/375gr in testing and I hunt with 308/428gr @ 29" draw.

All that said, elk die the same as when I hit them at 250fps with my old bow, 245/400gr from my dad's or 210fps from my sons.

No experience with weight tubes or weed string here. And Gunner46's advice is spot on, if it shoots good may be smart just to stay with it.

I wouldnt bother changing out your rig unless you can use more foc. I prefer 12-15% with a broadhead so perhaps you could bump up. Otherwise, know your shots and range and go hunt.

Sounds like a nice setup. New broadheads maybe, but if yours are sharp and you can shave with them, you will be fine. To quote above - ' know your shots and ranges' = make sure you are good at 40yds! make 20 seem easy, and if he comes screaming in at 5 you will be fine!
Good luck man.

Thanks to all for the advice sounds like ill be alright with what I got so ill stick with it. Mtnwest ill try and chrono again with a judo point and see if that changes anything thanks

Many years ago when I lived in AZ and was new to hunting there, I too was concerned that some of my current rifle/load, bow/ arrow combo's might be less than ideal for the hunting there. Fortunate for me, I was able to befriend an old-timer local who once told me "if everything is working slickity-clickity...don't screw with it. Just go hunting. " D@mn good advice that has served me well for over 25 yrs.

Definately some sage advice in the above quote. I think sometimes we get to wrapped up in the "tech" and forget about the shot.

slickity-clickity = Confidence. You will be fine with your set up. I would recommend practicing out to at least 60 yards. Good Luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back