Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Archery Coues Deer impossible?

RidgeRebel

I have been thinking I really want to try Coues deer hunting in AZ, but I look at the success rates and it seems dang near impossible. At nearly $500 just for the tag I have a hard time wanting to take the chance. But again I really have an itch to go see these deer in person. Anybody tried it or had success? I have killed a few mule deer and and elk with my bow so I feel somewhat confident in my archery hunting ability. What do you guys think?

With Coues deer for Archery here in AZ there are three seasons a year so if possible you would be able to hunt them three different times. Arizona archery OTC tags are good for one calendar year so if you bought it for the 2018 season you would be able to hunt all three starting in January. In January you will see the most activity especially the later in January you hunt as this is the Rut for them. You can sit a water source or Glass Glass Glass. Most attempt to spot and stalk and it is a good way but a good tripod and optics are key for any hunt when it comes to coues deer. When I am hunting them I carry 12x50's then I also carry a spotting scope to try to save my legs as much as possible. If you decide to come out for a spot and stalk it is called a poor mans sheep hunt for a reason. Now if you don't fill in January you can come back out in August. This hunt is HOTT. Where coues deer live you are going to be having temps in the triple digits daily with the possibility of the afternoon monsoon. If you hunt in August most people have success sitting water as it is necessary but you need to be able to sit all day. The nice thing about this hunt is if you do your homework in the off season you can pattern deer and they haven't been pressured so you can spot and stalk easier however they are still in velvet and most aren't completely done with antler growth. Finally you can come back in December if those haven't worked and this hunt will be tough but the later in the year you are able to go the better as more rut activity you will see but for the most part they wont be in the rut but will be showing signs of it. Hope this helps and if you have any questions let me know and ill try to help

Definitely not impossible........the amount of P&Y record book entries alone proves that. They are difficult though.........I've specifically hunted them once and was successful........now I chase them when I'm not seeing mule deer at lower levels. :)

Definitely not inpossible. I've taken a fair number with archery equipment. Sitting minerals and water sources will probably give you the most success

Very challenging. The terrain is full of things that can sting, cut, jab or bite you. Kicking off your shoes to close the last few yards could result in bad things stuck in your foot. Temps can be cold at sunrise and blistering at midday. The thermals and swirling wind are another factor on a longer stalk. Typically arid so ground can be crunchy underfoot. I thing sitting water would work or sitting a blind at a pinch point. Spotting and closing the distance would take some skill and luck, perhaps there is a ravine that can be used or a buck is sleeping. I have seen bucks bail at 100s of yards when no more cover left to close the distance which explains why long range rifle setups are discussed on Coues forums. I think you can be successful though suggest not going solo if is your first Coues adventure. 90% of successful glassing for Coues is knowing where NOT to waste time glassing.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I will definitely check out the coues forum, thanks for the tip.

Archery coues is tough for sure but there are strategy's that work good on them. Glassing and bedding a buck works if he beds in a spot that will allow a stalk to within bow distance. Get within your effective range and sit him out. Sooner or later he will get up to feed again or just to change positions due to the sun and shadows changing location. Another good way is to sit water if you are patient enough. They like to water mid morning to early afternoon in the December/January time frame. The third one I've used and it works is look for scrapes and set up a blind or tree stand. Been my experience that not only the buck that made the scrape will be by but other bucks will as well. Good luck and just enjoy. A mature buck will seldom dress out much over 100 lbs and 85 is more like the average so your not doing it for the quantity of meat. I have to add that these little deer are by far some of the best eating table fare of game that I've ever tasted.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back