Ar-15

Hunter&Huntress

Hey jsut wondering if anyone on here has built there own AR. im interested in getting one and know a few people that have built there own. They have told me it was cheaper. I dont know where to buy from anyone have any suggestions?

You can start at midwayusa.com. As much as I hate to talk about another website but there is tons of info on building them at ar15.com

I built a lower reciever from scratch. No big deal really. It's really more of an assembly than a build. I had the upper made because I didn't want to deal with the headspace issues, but if you have a .223 go/no go gauge you should be able to do it all.

Check out del-ton.com and bravocompany.com for parts, etc. I heartily second a15.com to get some pointers on assembly.

Have fun!

Its pretty easy and straight forward just about anyone can assemble a lower reciever with common tools anyone has in there house. However assembling when assembling an upper reciever there may be one to a few special tools required depending on your type of build. You could buy a kit gun which would be an assembled upper reciever, lower parts kit, stock pistol grip, you would then only need to supply the lower receiver which is the only part that is considered a firearm that would run you typically $80-150 depending on where you purchase it, brands, and shipping to an FFL vs buying at a gun store.

I've built a few if you have any questions or any specifics I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have, decide the type of AR you want, military clone, target, varmint, or tactical, or totally custom and it gets easy from there. Literally deciding what type of AR your want to build is the hardest part.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice im looking forward to gettin started on this project and see what come out of it either way I think it will be cheaper then buying one in the store

Just don't plan on building one as they are so easy you will most likely want another.So many different choices to make.Good luck

Thank you for all the advice im looking forward to gettin started on this project and see what come out of it either way I think it will be cheaper then buying one in the store

You'll still spend a bunch on the upgrades that you think you'll want. Free floating handguards, rails, optics, 2 stage trigger, etc, will all add up. But, I ended up with a $1500 rifle and spent about $800. Do a lot of comparison shopping and research before buying your parts. Stay away from the super cheap stuff like UTG and you should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back