Apply for Leftover as Party or Individually?

evanmck17

Hey guys,

Me and a couple buddies are going to apply for a leftover antelope tag and are wondering if we would have a better chance applying individually or as a party.

We are wanting first choice Unit 16 and second choice Unit 17, but only one of us wants a buck tag while the other two are fine with doe tags.

Looks like in 2017 there were 113 leftover buck tags for Unit 16 with 147 first choice applicants (77%), while there were 370 leftover buck tags for Unit 17 with 339 first-choice applicants (100%).

For doe tags, there were 151 leftovers in 2017 for Unit 16 with 232 first-choice applicants (65%) and 127 leftover in Unit 17 with 210 first-choice applicants (60%).

Let me know what application process would give us the best chance at getting a tag.

Thanks guys

Applying individually will of course give the best odds of at least somebody drawing a tag, but leaves the possibility (likelihood) of someone being left in the cold without a license.

If everybody is going regardless, I'd say apply individually. If the trip hinges on the leftover draw, I'd apply as a party, then make alternate plans if you don't draw.

Applying individually will of course give the best odds of at least somebody drawing a tag, but leaves the possibility (likelihood) of someone being left in the cold without a license.

If everybody is going regardless, I'd say apply individually. If the trip hinges on the leftover draw, I'd apply as a party, then make alternate plans if you don't draw.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I guess if two are wanting doe tags and only one wants a buck tag, we can't even be in the same party, right?

Not near as many leftover licenses this year. I don't think I'd count on everyone getting a tag.

Not near as many leftover licenses this year. I don't think I'd count on everyone getting a tag.
You are right. Didn't even look at the numbers, I was thinking about percentages. We may need to reevaluate our plan. We were thinking we would have a good chance of all getting a tag.

Bucks
Unit 16 - 94 (113 last year)
Unit 17 - 107 (370 last year)

Does
Unit 16 - 47 (151 last year)
Unit 17 - 101 (127 last year)

Does WY treat party apps in the Leftover draw the same way as in the Regular draw? Because in the Regular draw, if a party is drawn when one or more tags remain then all members get a tag even if not enough tags left in the quota. Drawing as a party might improve your odds everyone gets a tag.

Yeah, I think you're right.

I guess if two are wanting doe tags and only one wants a buck tag, we can't even be in the same party, right?

That is two different draws, so whomever wants a buck tag would apply in that draw separately and he could apply as a party with the other guy for the doe tags.

Like Topgun says, two different draws. Put in for the buck tag individually and then anyone can put in for doe tags in that draw by themselves or in a group.

It might be best to apply for four doe tags, on four separate applications, and as a party. This would give you the highest chance of drawing at least one tag each, and everyone being able to hunt. Maybe skip the buck tags entirely, because what if one buck tag is drawn and nothing else?

It might be best to apply for four doe tags, on four separate applications, and as a party. This would give you the highest chance of drawing at least one tag each, and everyone being able to hunt. Maybe skip the buck tags entirely, because what if one buck tag is drawn and nothing else?

You can't do that! You either apply as an individual or as a party. Once you apply the system will not allow you to apply for the same species again.

You can't do that! You either apply as an individual or as a party. Once you apply the system will not allow you to apply for the same species again.

Sorry, I probably worded that incorrectly. I'm pretty sure you can apply the way I'm thinking. I'm saying apply as a party for the doe tags. I don't know if the leftover draw is the same way, but in the first draw you can apply for two doe antelope licenses on one application. So doing it that way you either draw two licenses, or none. You can also apply for one tag on one application and a second tag on another application. In this case I'm saying do four separate applications for four tags. Hope that makes more sense.

The system knows if you have applied previously, and for what, so you could do as you suggested. If you have not applied for a doe tag you could apply for up to 4 in the leftover draw, individually or any combination up to the max.

When you choose to be a party member, you are assigned the leaders random number and hunt area, but are not restricted to the leaders qnty selection. Therefor you could be in a party for two tags and apply as an individual for two more, for a total of four doe tags.

Last edited:
Yes, I did that last year. I had 4 apps in for doe pronghorn and 4 apps in for doe whitetail. Out of all that, I only drew one doe whitetail, so for the OP I'd definitely be making alternate plans in case you don't pull any leftover tags.

I just applied for leftover doe/fawn antelope tags and the system would only let me apply for 1 tag per application. I had to submit two applications.

I talked one other guy into applying for a buck tag so here is what we ended up doing.

Application 1: Two person party application for Any Antelope License for our 1st 2nd and 3rd choice unit.
Application 2: 3 person party application for a doe tag for our first 3 choice units.
Application 3: 3 person party application for a doe tag for our first 2 choice units.

I'm thinking our chances are pretty good for all three of us getting at least one license.

I guess we will see on July 12.

I just applied for leftover doe/fawn antelope tags and the system would only let me apply for 1 tag per application. I had to submit two applications.

When I went in as an individual, the second screen, after picking party or individual is the quantity screen, and both options, 1 and 2 are on the drop down list. When I went in as party organizer, I could only apply for a single license.

Last edited:
When I went in as an individual, the second screen, after picking party or individual is the quantity screen, and both options, 1 and 2 are on the drop down list. When I went in as party organizer, I could only apply for a single license.

Yes, that is what happened to me. I was the Party organizer.

May be that way to limit how far "over quota" that a single party application can potentially push a unit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back