Application questions..

dcopas78

As a rookie to the application game in several states, I have a few questions that maybe you all can help me out with. I am interested in applying in New Mexico for elk on a group application with my dad. I have tried to look up how they honor group apps with no luck. I think I am just looking in the wrong place. My question is, is it like Wyoming were everyone in the group gets a tag regardless of the number of tags available? Or if there are 10 tags available and your group gets drawn 10th, your draw is nullified?

I tried looking all over the NM site to help you and I can't find an answer to that question either. I'd call out there and ask.

If you apply as Non Resident and not in the Guide Pool then understand only a few tags per hundred will be available to your group. I assume you know this but if not you could apply for a hunt where is 0% chance your group could get tags.

Up to 4 people can apply as a group for deer, elk, pronghorn or barbary sheep. 6% of tags set aside of non-residents applying without guide. 10% of tags set aside for applicants (resident or non-resident) applying with a guide. Up to 2 people for oryx. No limit on non-resident tags. The group applications can be a mix of non-resident and resident.

Not 100% clear to me but if the group application is drawn and there are not enough tags left to fill the individual members in the group then presumably is unsuccessful.

If you have two in your group and are applying as two non-residents then 2 tags/.06 means need 34 tags to have any chance since that means there will be exactly 2 non-resident tags up for grabs.

NM assigns each app a number by species. These are then stacked up by numerical order. The computer goes through each app one by one and attempts to fill you 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices. If they is not enough tags available it moves on to the next app. So yes, if the computer gets to your app and there are two people that applied as a group, but only one tag, you would not get a tag.

Thanks for the info guys, I think that answers my questions. I guess I would just have to take my chances and apply for an area with maybe say 10 or more NR tags available. From what I see on hunterstrailhead, that kind of eliminates some of the better areas, but looks like there are still good quality hunts, just maybe a few more people hunting. Once again, thanks for the help.

What are you looking to hunt? Weapon choice? NM is has horrible draw odds. But when you finally pull that tag you are in for a great hunt.

We would probably be doing rifle or muzzleloader. I've been looking at odds and looks like about the best it gets with any area with good success is 3-4%.

I assume you are looking at elk. The only public land deer tags in NM worth anything (just my opinion here) are the late season 2's up by the apache res.

3-4% is pretty typical for NM. Especially for the well known trophy units. You can get better draw odds for some units up north like 45,48, and 51, but the success rates are about on par with CO OTC units. I put in for NM every year, but plan on hunting somewhere else.

Yeah, that is kinda my plan as well. I want to start getting points in UT, WY, but in the meantime I'm looking maybe trying to draw NM while I cut my teeth on OTC tags in Idaho. I won't be coming out to hunt until 2015, so I got a while to get this stuff in order. My family and I are coming out later this summer to go through Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. I plan on spending about 2-3 days checking out some areas in Idaho I am interested in and doing the same in Wyoming. A two week family vacation gives me a perfect excuse to scout out a few of these areas. My wife and mom are perfectly content to just stay around a small town and check out the stores while dad and I go tromping off through the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back