Anyone looking for elk partner - Taylor Fork?

rino

I drew the tag solo and was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat?

With the bears it would be nice to have a buddy there to hunt with.

[email protected]

ps...i have tues/thurs off as well so mid-week hunts are possible.

I'll venture a guess that that's Montana. I don't have that permit, good luck though. The residents I know that hunt it are very serious and have hunted it forever, and its the same select few that kill elk every year, so you've got your work cut out for you.

Get a wolf tag as well.

I'm not affraid of bears, but have a lot of respect for them... The bears in MT scare me a lot more than the ones up here, thats a fact.

My wife and I rode our ponies up Wapiti creek of the Taylor's fork last week. Their used to be lots of elk up there, but we saw no sign this time. Lots of bear sign, however. I carry .44 special at all times. Diane carries bear spray. I suggest you get away from motorized trails as much as you can. Check with Jake's Horses if you need help packing out an elk. Good luck. There are still a few up there. And Randy shows you lots of that country in the first wolf hunt episode.

I won't be able to hunt w/you then but I have been hunting down there for over 20 years. The hunting sucks compared to what it used to be, but I still go back every now and then for chits and grins. Lots of wolves now and you might even see a griz or blackie. I almost always hunt solo down there and have never had a problem with bears or wolves. Lace em up tight and hit it hard! Good luck.

The hunting sucks compared to what it used to be
Agree. BUT blah, blah, blah... sick of hearing about "the good ole days" up the canyon, lived here my whole life, sure times were better than they are now (hell of a lot better)... less griz, no wolves, less people.BUT there are definitely still elk (and bulls) for the taking. Get your ass deep into the woods and have fun!! Who the hell wants to see another hunter while you are out anyway?

If you go back far enough, there are quite a few herds of elk hanging around Taylor's Fork still!! Wouldn't be fun if you didn't have to work! that's why they call it hunting and not killing.

No Oak - I do not hunt around grizzlies here in Colorado. Thanks for checking dh.

Last edited:
try eharmony.com for a partner.

Taylor's Fork is one of the last best places. Too bad they allow ATVs up little wapiti, that ruined the place long before wolves.

Agree. BUT blah, blah, blah... sick of hearing about "the good ole days" up the canyon, lived here my whole life, sure times were better than they are now (hell of a lot better)... less griz, no wolves, less people.BUT there are definitely still elk (and bulls) for the taking. Get your ass deep into the woods and have fun!! Who the hell wants to see another hunter while you are out anyway?

If you go back far enough, there are quite a few herds of elk hanging around Taylor's Fork still!! Wouldn't be fun if you didn't have to work! that's why they call it hunting and not killing.

Really? Did you not read that I still hunt there EVEN though I said it sucks compared to what it used to be? Probably wouldn't do that if there was no game would I?!?! Did I tell him to go some where else? No!!!! I told him to hunt hard...positive motivation. Read thoroughly before you post stupid comments and if you still don't understand a thread, take a reading comprehension class!

Really? Did you not read that I still hunt there EVEN though I said it sucks compared to what it used to be? Probably wouldn't do that if there was no game would I?!?! Did I tell him to go some where else? No!!!! I told him to hunt hard...positive motivation. Read thoroughly before you post stupid comments and if you still don't understand a thread, take a reading comprehension class!

My only point was that I'm sick of people complaining about the elk situation in the canyon, it's worse than what it was- yes. But it's still a good place, that's all. My fault as coming off as a dh. Sorry about that!

Too anxious for September 1st, I guess!

Back