Caribou Gear Tarp

Anyone hunt Camp Ripley?

streamer

Just wandering if what my buddy and I were not the only ones that had a hard time at Camp ripley this weekend. We saw 2 deer in 2 days of sitting, not much sign not sure how many were killed but by the talks of other hunters guys were not seeing very much. Anyone else have this type of hunt. I have not hunted Ripley since they increased the tags to 2500, maybe they have the deer herd in check there and may need to decrease the tags back down again, I may not be going for some years again.

I hunted the first weekend and didn't see a single deer but that happens some years.... I either see a ton or very little... I also had a few hunters pretty close to me, which has never happened before! I think the tougher winter played a role in the hunt and the later rut this year.

Outdoor New Published This -

Hunters at the second two-day Camp Ripley archery hunt Nov. 2-3 were greeted with excellent weather Saturday and breezy to moderate gale-force winds on Sunday, with archers harvesting 127 deer, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
The Nov. 2-3 harvest, coupled with the 181 taken during the Oct. 26-27 hunt, ranks 16th best at Camp Ripley. Windy weather resulted in more than half of the participants leaving Camp by mid-day of the second day of each hunt this year. The four-day total of 308 deer is about 5 percent below the long-term average harvest of 323 deer for the two hunts combined, and represents a 28 percent decline from last year’s harvest of 431 deer.

“Although the take is lower than we’ve come to expect in recent years, hunters achieved a harvest at camp that is just below the long-term average, and deer registered this year were in exceptionally good condition,” said Beau Liddell, DNR Little Falls area wildlife manager. “Administration of the hunt went well with no major injuries or mishaps during this year’s event.”
A combined total of 5,002 permits were issued for both two-day hunts, with 4,488 hunters participating -- the highest participation rate since the hunt began in 1954. Success across both hunts was 7 percent, which is 2 percent below the long-term average of 9 percent, and similar to the success experienced during other hunts at Camp Ripley earlier this fall.
For the 10th year, hunters at Camp Ripley were allowed to use bonus permits to increase harvest of antlerless deer.
“We’re very pleased with the results the past 10 years,” Liddell said. “While Ripley bow hunters are known to be selective for bucks, we have seen increasing proportions of does and fawns taken in recent years to help keep the population in check.”
The proportion of antlerless deer taken at Camp Ripley during both hunts was 4 percent higher than last year, and 7 percent higher than the long-term average (56 percent), with 63 percent of this year’s harvest comprised of does and fawns.
The largest buck taken on the second hunt weighed 220 pounds and was taken by Tony Sutherland of Stanchfield.
Other hunters who harvested large bucks during second hunt include:

Lonny Hutchins, Swanville, 219 pounds.
John Ampe, Maple Grove, 202 pounds.
Nathan Ruch, North Mankato, 197 pounds.
Many large does were taken, with 16 topping the 120-pound mark. The largest doe taken weighed 147 pounds and was taken by Jacob Zeis of Burtrum.

The archery hunt at Camp Ripley is an annual event. The DNR coordinates the hunt with the Department of Military Affairs, which manages the 53,000 acre reservation.

A buddy of mine works in the environment office on post, and in some of my conversations with him; it sounds like the deer population is down on post. The key from what I have seen for these hunts is finding escape routes that the deer use to get away from the pressure. If you try this hunt again, shoot me a PM and I can point you in the direction of some of these areas.

Hey MN hunters I hunted it when I was Kid and there is some great hunting to be had. I have a question for you MN guys. I'm moving back to MN soon. My fiancee are buying a house on 40 acres in otter tail county. Is there good deer hunting there? The property is awesome. Front half is fields the back 20 is connected to a 3000 acre tract of swamp and timber. Thanks

Hey MN hunters I hunted it when I was Kid and there is some great hunting to be had. I have a question for you MN guys. I'm moving back to MN soon. My fiancee are buying a house on 40 acres in otter tail county. Is there good deer hunting there? The property is awesome. Front half is fields the back 20 is connected to a 3000 acre tract of swamp and timber. Thanks

Yes there is! I do some pheasant hunting over there, and have seen some nice bucks getting bumped out of the sloughs. I have considered taking a trip out there to hunt some of the waterfowl production areas and other public wetlands for deer during the muzzleloader season in December if it seemed like thing had frozen up well enough. I think there are some people on here that live out in that area as well.

I believe alot of Ottertail is shotgun for deer, but you can use a scoped muzzleloader if you are hunting during the normal gun season. I know alot of guys, myself included, that do this rather than shooting slugs.

I live in ND up the road from Ottertail Co (Fergus Falls area). As far as deer, you are in a great area. Sounds like you have a potential gold mine. This part of MN is far enough away from the most populated areas of the state and retains it's rural feel.

As far as other hunting, there are tons of geese. There is a power plant in FFalls which has open water year around. I don't think you will have any problem is you like shooting honkers.:hump:

If my memory serves me correctly, Ottertail Co has more lakes than any other MN county. (~1000). Neighboring Becker Co has over 500 lakes. So if you like to fish, you are moving to heaven.

Don't let the shotgun thing scare you away. Today's modern slug guns are tack drivers out to 200 yds ! Plus they put a mighty big hole in a deer !

Gosh I'm getting more excited now that I hear all this. Sounds like I'll be in the outdoorsmans paradise. Thanks guys for all your encouraging feed back.

As for the shotgun part. I only could find a map from 2011 and it looks like the border is just south of me so I guess rifle is ok. The house is north of Henning.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back