Anyone else hunt with a .257 Roberts?

Just seeing who else is a .257 Roberts fan. I have only had mine for a year and shot two skunks with it. But it is going as the backup gun this fall. Or I will have it out on nice days.

Attachments

• 257 M70.jpg
    257 M70.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 637
I've never even seen one but I had a friend in Idaho who swore up and down by it. In his mind it was the best thing ever. He was an old country/farm boy from the Twin Falls country.

Had a buddy that I helped build one on an old Mexican Mauser 98 action.

Damn nice gun, nice shooter, would have no hesitation on shooting skunks, or perhaps even larger animals with it.

We fight over who gets to carry The Bob in our house. We've killed a half dozen or more deer with it the past few years. I killed my bull elk with it this year at 399 yards. Three pass through lung shots with 110 accubonds.

My father in-law and one of his friends really like them. My brother in-law used it for deer hunting his first couple of years in the field, but I personally dont have any experience. I am interested in what others have to say because I have been playing with the idea of borrowing it for my son to hunt with in 2017.

Every deer I've killed has been with a .257 Roberts. Looks like we have the same gun. Love that thing and can't wait for my kids to use it.

Wow I didn't expect this much of a response. I have always wanted a pre '64 Model 70 in .257 Roberts. I found one in Rapid City, SD that I could actually touch and look at. I usually use a pre 64 M70 in .30-06. The .257 is more pleasant to shoot. My .257 still has some bedding issues to work out. Thanks for all of the positive feedback.

I have always wanted a pre '64 Model 70 in .257 Roberts.

Me too. A neighbor had one and shot 3 bull moose with his in Montana...luckiest guy I ever knew drawing moose tags, drew back to back bull tags in the late 80's.

I ran into a newer model 70 in 257 a couple years ago in Rock Springs...should have bought it.

257 Roberts is a neat caliber. You say the one you got is a pre 64? if it is, it looks like an absolute gem based on your picture. do you happen to have any more pics for us pre-64 aficionados to drool at? . i bit the bullet and bought my unicorn a few weeks ago. Model 70 featherweight .264 win mag. it's not a pre-64 but still awfully hard to find. my old man probably has more pre-64's than most people. i think he has 7 or 8 and recently picked one up in the rare .375 h&h.

Last edited:
Mine is a 257 ackley improved built by my grandfather willed too me. It's built on a 1909 Argentino Mauser. She's deadly accurate.

IMG_0587.jpg

I also have a Ruger M77 in 25-06 that is a phenomenal shooter as well.

The ,257 Roberts is a great caliber, i have shot a number of white tails and it has done the job effectively. I do recommend that you look at bullet construction, there is a huge difference in its performance when using different bullets.

tamabuck1.jpg
.257 Roberts in a Ruger lightweight hanging off the back of her pack. Many antelope, that rifle, and her have an intimate relationship.

My dad has a Remington 722 he killed his first deer with in 1970. I killed my first rifle deer with it in 1995. I've been looking for a "Bob" of my own for a while and recently picked up a 1982 Remington Classic.

This past fall I killed an 8 point in WV and another in PA . Both were about 75 yards away and when I shot, each dropped on the spot. One was shot as a high shoulder shot and the other was a neck shot. I was using a 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets and it was really deadly. The past 3 deer I killed with the Roberts I was using 110 grain Accubonds and all three of those deer ran about 30-40 yards before the succumbed. The Partitions made a huge difference in distance traveled after being shot.

Last edited:
I have a Remington 760 chambered in 257 Roberts that I inherited. it hasn't taken any deer as it has never been shot. Was planning on taking it to the range at some point.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back