Self imposed weapon restrictions for hunting?

steveshuntn1

For the 2023/24 deer season here in MS I’ve decided to change up my usual hunting style a bit. I’m going to hunt with my grandmothers Remington 1100 3” magnum…and only that during gun season!IMG_4209.jpeg
After my tree stand fall last year I hunted on the ground hidden in the thickets and had fun doing it. Had deer close enough to slap! Reminded me of hunting as a young boy when Dad would sit me by a tree and dare me to wander off! It seems hunting has become less fun since the “trophy trolls” have been all about making it about antlers and not the wild meat or enjoyment of being in the woods.
So this year I’m going to limit myself to slipping through the woods or sitting in spots where my shots are close. I’ve already got excellent results with buckshot at 50 yards, but I’m also working on a reload with two .65 caliber pumpkin balls. At 50 yards two of those hitting the vitals should definitely do the trick!
Has anyone else who’s hunted for decades ever got bored with shooting animals at 400 yards with a rifle? I’m not 💩 on that at all. My 30-06 has put many meals on my table. I’m just curious. It’s still 2 1/2 months away here, but it’s getting closer everyday and getting grannies gun ready has been fun. If nothing else it’ll be an interesting year and hopefully I can fill the freezer up with the old 1100 magnum.

I have always used ML and rifle to take full advantage of season and now archery. Elk and moose I go hard to fill my tag as that fills my freezer and I just love hunting deer. For waterfowl I could care less if I shoot any. I will only shoot waterfowl over decoys no jumping or pass shooting for me

Yep, I posted about wanting to take my first deer without a scope this season. (I know I may go straight to hell for cerakoting a lever, but I did purposefully seek out a remlin) View attachment 289941
I’ve been looking for a good deal on a lever action…just hadn’t run across one yet. Sold my son in law a Marlin.35 Rem 15 years ago and he refuses to sell it back…should’ve just let him borrow it. He did get his first deer with it though.

Last edited:
I’ve got an old Savage 340 .30/30 that I’ve had for a few years. I want to fill a tag with it this year. Always been a rifle I’ve liked, but never done much with it.

I’ll bring it with me to MN as I know there are a few of the deer stands on the property that don’t allow long shots anyways.

I've always felt like hunting with a rifle was cheating. Not that I am above cheating, I don't feel good about it. Just give me my long bow or my sidelock muzzle loader and I'm a happy hunter.
I chased my biggest muley for 5 days with a bow. Couldn’t seal the deal. Went back and found him during the rut. Shot him at 300 yds with the .270. It was not gratifying at all and I felt like I cheated him.

I have private land access to a ranch in CO where I can hunt pronghorn every year. I feel like I’m cheating myself the experience if I were to use a rifle, so I only apply for muzzleloader tags and use OTC archery if I don’t draw. Not sure if that counts but that’s my way of “fair chase”.

Plus, it’s easier to draw muzzy tags…. Maybe that’s the actual reason….

Shot a No 1 in 25-06 last weekend. Not sure hunting with it would be a limitation shooting 1 hole 100 yard groups and all.
300HH; 375 HH with a couple clicks; 257 roberts with a couple clicks and the 275 Rigby with an oops.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • CAP_E4BC2CD8-E419-4E39-9C98-CE3215D7DD0D.jpeg
    CAP_E4BC2CD8-E419-4E39-9C98-CE3215D7DD0D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6704.jpeg
    IMG_6704.jpeg