Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

any cross bow elk hunters ?

To the best of my knowledge, crossbows are not legal in most western States. for bow hunting season.
but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Kevin

Last edited:
Legal in Wyoming, but I don't know anyone that uses them.

I see a picture every now and then of a cross gun taken animal here in Wyoming.

I've only seen 2 people actually hunting with them in Wyoming in 15 years.

Probably will not find any western elk hunters on here using one but they are real popular here in Michigan for whitetail.I bought one last year but never hunted with it yet.

Flame away but I bought one for my wife and daughters to use here in Wyoming after the game and fish decided to set it at a 50lb minimum draw weight. So rather than shooting great at 40-45 they have a Hell of a time holding for anytime at all. So rather than risk a bad shot due to too high of weight I felt it better to get them a crossbow to share for elk and if they are ever lucky enough to draw a moose. I'm also trying to get my dad to go hunting with me in sept just to enjoy the experience of the rut, he doesn't shoot a bow and has a bum shoulder. I don't plan on using one myself anytime soon but if it gets my wife and daughters or my dad out in the hills with me I'm all for it.

I bought one for my wife and step daughter to share. I don't feel that either of them will draw enough weight for me to feel comfortable enough to let them shoot at an animal for a while, but both have an interest in archery. Nebraska and a couple of other states allow crossbows for archery, so I'll take them there to enjoy being able to hunt. I don't plan on using it myself, but the thing is kinda fun to shoot.

I am considering one for my son. Have not shost one yet, but the ones I have seen make an awful lot of noise. Any suggestions?

I have used them here in Ohio. My dad has to use one anymore because of bad wrists. The years of factory work and taxidermy have caught up to him. He can't hold a compound back because his carpal tunnel laden hands won't let him. I can tell you one thing though. When he was shooting a compound or longbow, I would have put him up against anyone. He was the best I ever saw in person, and that is not just son talk. I fully intend to bring him and his crossbow to Wyoming elk hunting here in a few years.

Crossbow hunting looks interesting,will see what next year brings.My crossbow is loud but very accurate and fast.Only shot targets so far.

Problem with a crossbow is they are awkward to carry compared to a regular bow. My father has been using one for some years now so he can still get out but I could not see carrying one around Elk hunting unless that's all I could use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back