Antelope Hunting Wyoming Unit 26

jensen

Getting all kinds of mixed reviews about hunting unit 26. Have hunted unit 27 and 29 before and had great success. This year I am taking my son (13) and father and both are rookies. Bought a current hunting map of 26 and also going to load GPS. Little considered about which roads I can drive on and where to camp. Love to camp where we are hunting. Regardless we are going and it will be a great trip, but I hope to get my son and father chances for success. I know the public land is more scattered in 26, but just like in 27 and 29 if you are willing to walk alot you can find the antelope. In years past used to laugh at guys who do nothing but drive around and spot. Will take any advice on which areas to hunt, camp, public roads anything? Thanks

Like you stated... lots of private ground. Study the maps hard and try and find a way into public ground. Might be a good idea to call the local conservation officer for some info.

good luck to all
the dog

Go to the county website and look for the maps link, it will show you where the county roads are.

A buddy and I hunted that unit last year and both taged out the first day, like u said just need to get out of the truck and walk. I go down there for work every now and then too and now the area pretty well. If you want to send me a message I will send you gps corrdnants to where we camped could have taged out from our camp sight if we wanted to. Also if you click on our websight you can watch the video from that hunt to see the size of goats we seen. Good luck and have fun. I will be taking my dad and granfather on there first goat hunt this fall will be in unit 23 just north of there.

Archery hunted 26 last year as a backup plan when our CO elk hunt was a bust. Went there sight unseen. Plenty of antelope, not a lot of public. Since we were bow hunting we didn't see another archery hunter on public land all week. We were on antelope constantly. With a rifle we would have had some respectable bucks. We mainly hunted the same 10 pieces of public each day, with no other pressure there were antelope on those pieces on a daily basis. I would assume the road we hunted would be crowded during gun season, but animal numbers were good.

There are a few pieces of public big enough to get off the road. Do that and I would be it would be fine.

Back