Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Antelope hunting every year?

How would it be possible to hunt antelope every year as a non resident? I looked into WY tags but seems the areas with mostly public lands still took a few years. Perhaps I just need to breakdown and buy gohunt insider?

If you are open to archery, you could very easily. There's enough units in WY that only take a point or two, but they are generally more limited in public accessible lands. However, ID is OTC for archery pronghorns so one could do that one the off years.

Texas gives the tags to the landowner and you can buy them directly from the landowner. Otherwise doe tags would be about the most guaranteed option in Wyoming. Don't know about other states. I once hunted antelope in 4 different states in one year: Wyoming, Colorado, NM and Texas.

New Mexico has pretty affordable landowner tags. I think well over half the antelope tags in the state are landowner tags. Lots of places sell them for right around $1,000. I would guess the average price is $1,500 or so.

I've debated buying one a few times, when you do the math it is about the same price for me as traveling to Wyoming or Nevada or someplace like that to hunt them.

I've hunted Wyoming tags that were leftover or are leftovers for 3 years now and have never had issues filling tags. The units required a GPS map and chip and a decent amount of leg work, but they weren't too hard especially after the first year getting an idea of what was a good idea and what was a bad idea. If you put in for Wyoming, MT, CO and NM every year you should have lots of options. You might as well throw in SD because PP's are only $10.

Yeah not a problem at all. Just put in your number one choice as a tough unit to draw to build points and then a really easy unit as your second choice. There are several units in NE part of the state that have leftover buck tags every year, you won't shoot a big buck in these units but you will be able to get an animal, and yes this is for rifle.

MT 900 tags are archery only and a guaranteed draw (somethign like 9000 allotted, but not even close to it). That tag also allows you to hunt anywhere in MT with a bow.

3 friends and myself drew buck rifle tags for our Wyoming Unit. There are 100% draw odd units out there including the one we applied for. This is our first year hunting the unit so who know's if the unit is worth a darn, but we're more after any buck rather than being picky for a giant. I've noticed even the "limited access" units that Wyoming warns against still looks like plenty of land to me. Maybe I'm just used to the Midwest where everything is private... All the research was done by gohunt and onxmaps. Also a couple friendly people on here pointed me in the right direction... so if this unit turns out to be worth a darn, I could just apply to this unit for now until forever and shoot an antelope every year. So answer to your questions is yes.

Colorado has OTC archery antelope tags. Tags are either sex but split up into buck only first two weeks and either sex second two weeks.

I hunt Does every year and have never had a problem with public/pvt land issues. I could hunt bucks as well but at $280 for one, I'll shoot 4 does for $165.

You can only hunt every year if you want to hunt units that are nearly 100% private land.

The area I hunt has that "Very little public land" disclaimer which is hilarious as there are 66,230 acres of BLM and 19,102 acres of state lands that are accessible by the public, that is not locked out by private land. Yeah a lot of that only has a couple of access points and you have to walk in. But I think the disclaimer should read "this unit is difficult for lazy or mobility impaired hunters, road hunting limited."

(I don't want to knock someone who just physically can't do walk in hunting.)

That's funny.

Why is it funny?

I was replying to the original poster, who stated that the "areas with mostly public land take a few years." And from my research, and from hunting antelope in Wyoming the last two years, and again this year next month, he's right. Yes you may be able to hunt does every year like I do, but I'm assuming, like most people, he's only interested in bucks. Also I'm assuming he wants to hunt with a rifle, not a bow. Yes I realize you can hunt the units that have leftover tags every year, but, those are the units that have little public access. That's just the reality of it. Hopefully antelope populations will increase enough by next year to allow for a big increase in the number of tags available, and then it might get back to the point where you could hunt a unit with plenty of public land every year.

Thanks everyone, sounds like it is possible. I need to add additional states into my overall application strategy. I apply for mule deer and elk in NV, ID and WY and would need to add pronghorn in WY and ID (I just drew NV and have to wait 5 years to apply again). I started archery last year but haven't taken an animal yet. Depending on the season dates I will heavily consider it in WY. I should consider adding CO to my overall strategy for all hunting as well but as everyone knows the cost keep adding up. I looked into UT but seems the opportunities are slim compared to CO. Perhaps I will just do WY and hunt rifle every few years just like deer and elk. I had so much fun this year in NV... I'd like to do it again. Living in Tahoe, MT, NM, CO, and WY are pretty far distances to travel which adds to the complexity and cost but that's part of hunting the west.

Wyoming non-resident tags are leftover for fewer units than even 5 years ago. The days of finding a unit with leftovers and hunting it for years and years may be winding down for non-residents. As mentioned, you can buy landowner tags in NM and TX. I think you can figure out that prior to the WY non-resident application deadline so you can just buy a WY pronghorn point the years you plan to hunt NM or TX. If you are applying in CO and AZ and UT and MT and OR and/or NV then can start building pronghorn points in those states as well and draw a nice tag in one or more of them after a decade or so. Since WY has a relatively late non-resident pronghorn application deadline, a WY pronghorn tag is my Plan B for a fun tag each year in case the tag gods are not favoring me in the early tag draws.

I've got 3 years of 100% success with 3 guys on the first trip, 6 guys on the second trip and 6 guys on the third trip. One year it even took us 4 days to fill all the tags..... that was rough.... The other two years we filled all the tags in 2 days. There is more than enough animals and more than enough public access when you include walk in areas in a lot of the easy to draw units. Buy the GPS chip, get the maps of the walk- in areas and in some cases get permits to the HMA's. If you wait a week you will likely have all the public areas to yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back