Another hunting personality charged.

Unfortunately I agree.
This is sad. Most of us have made a mistake. I made a huge one when i was younger and learned one of the more valuable lessons in my life. I follow the rules to a "T" now and respect wildlife more than I ever had as a young man.

Theres a difference between making a mistake and being a habitual offender. I wish we had more law enforcement in the field to enforce the rules consistently, but thats a whole other thread.

In my opinion, the guy in the article knew exactly what he was doing and risked it to get it on camera. Fortunately, on off duty officer caught him. Hopefully, he learns an expensive lesson.

I often wonder how many poachers are out there for everyone caught.

This is a really good thought to ponder. I consistently hear from game wardens that it is at least as many that are caught and very likely much higher that are uncaught. One particular story in Montana is about a single poached having population level impacts on a variety of ungulates in a hunting district. Biologists didn't understand it. He was almost caught early on, literally yards away, but escaped for another several years. It really emphasizes the idea that "poachers are gonna poach," meaning they won't stop until caught and even then after who knows.

This is a really good thought to ponder. I consistently hear from game wardens that it is at least as many that are caught and very likely much higher that are uncaught. One particular story in Montana is about a single poached having population level impacts on a variety of ungulates in a hunting district. Biologists didn't understand it. He was almost caught early on, literally yards away, but escaped for another several years. It really emphasizes the idea that "poachers are gonna poach," meaning they won't stop until caught and even then after who knows.

I started a thread thinking about a similar premise many years back.

A bear, moose and a sheep for $31,500. Seems like a bargain. SMH
Been saying it (not doing it obviously) for years.

It’s way cheaper to poach and It’s only to become more and more enticing to a lot of people. Poaching will get way worse in 20 years than it is today.

One would think to look over maps and descriptions of boundaries before one went and got into this pickle. That's pretty ignorant to act as if you didn't know this day in age. Unfortunately I wonder how many content makers push those limits of poaching for the sake of keeping content flowing and sponsorships etc.

That's unfortunately a likely truth.
Especially when you throw suppressors into the mix.

Example:

How easy would it be to lung a 350” bull in the rut while you were “Bear hunting” with your silenced 300 blackout in Colorado, then come back later with your bow and stick the hole with an arrow, butcher it, and pack the thing out?

I'm pretty confident that this is happening / has happened in the past.

People in general can’t be trusted and it would be so hard to even get caught. I mean look at the “celebrity” dirtbags that are getting busted, most of them have been doing things below board for years.

That’s why I take just about every picture I see of a guy holding mega horns with a grain of salt….people will surprise you and nothing is what it seems 50% of the time.

It’s an honor system in hunting. You either have it, or you don’t.

Do yourselves all a favor and go and watch some of the old Howard Hill videos and tell me everything he did was on the up and up lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back