Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another boot question

Gr8bawana

How about some advice on some good boots under $250 for those of us who don't have
$400-$500 to spend on boots. I figure if I find some now I can have them broken in for 2015
hunting season.

I have been reay pleased with danner pronghorns. They are ligt and comfortable. I think there was a year or two where they lagged in quality but as far as I can tell they are back on track. Cabelas has them for around 180 I think. There are a ciuple of other danner models in there website I like but can't recall the name.

I love danner and red wings. I have both in unisulated and insulated. It all depends on your feet, how they feel etc. If you hunt in alot of snow or water areas, make sure you seal them up often.

I have a pair that I bought from Cabela's.
I believe they were in the Alaskan guide series.
gor - tex with 600 gram Thinsulate.
I only wear them about 4 weeks a year, and they are 10 years old now, and still in good shape.
I think they were about $125.00 when I bought them.
for those of us that don't get to hunt a lot of days a year, Cabela's has some decent Boots, at a fair price. IMO

Kevin

I've been really happy with Meindl boots. I'll be replacing a pair of Cabela's Denalis this winter/spring. Pretty much have worn the tread off them, not bad for 3 seasons of hiking/hunting. I think they run about $300.

You couldn't give me a pair of Danners after the customer servicing I was given last. YMMV.

I picked up a nice pair of Lowas from sierra trading post for +-$150.

on another site I was advised by numerous folks to consider the Asolo TPS 520....but I think it's a bit more costly.

Spend $250 on a pear of good danners every other year or $400 on a good boot Kenetrek, Georgia, Lowa once same price in my mind and no brake in time good boots fit from the beginning...
Had a pair of the Kenes for 5 years worked in them all year hunted the rest the time Probably in them 250 days each year. Finally needed to be replaced or repaired sent them in to the factory... $150 and I had a new pair delivered to my house.:hump:
Just saying!

Spend $250 on a pear of good danners every other year or $400 on a good boot Kenetrek, Georgia, Lowa once same price in my mind and no brake in time good boots fit from the beginning...
Had a pair of the Kenes for 5 years worked in them all year hunted the rest the time Probably in them 250 days each year. Finally needed to be replaced or repaired sent them in to the factory... $150 and I had a new pair delivered to my house.:hump:
Just saying!

I had the exact opposite experience. My kenetreks are showing more wear after one year than my US made Danners do after 8. I like the kenetreks, but they're nowhere near the build quality as the Danners.

I got a pair of UA speed freak chaos this past season and love them. One season in they look food but I can't speak too much on longevity

Watch the sales on Shoebuy. The last pair of Lowas I bought I got them at 30% off and free shipping. This would fall right into your budget.

Not sure the type of hunting you are doing and time of year but... I had Asolo 520s and liked them, but got tired of a 4lb/pair boots and in archery season my feet were swimming in sweat in the full-leather gore-tex boot. I had to find a different boot for warmer seasons but would function well in steep mountain terrain with with moderate weight packing.

I researched a ton of boots (and tried many on) trying to find a lightweight boot that still had some stiffness of a mountain boot. I don't care for the softness of the Quest 4D or Lowa renegade type boots when in the steep rocky stuff above timberline, just my preference. so, I bought the salewa mid mountain trainer. So far, I like them but don't have a ton of miles. A couple of test hikes and grouse hunts in some steep nasty stuff, so seems like they'll be good for whatever I'm doing. They feel light on the foot and are pretty comfortable, but I had to play around with footbeds and lacing a bit. As per most online reviews, they don't have a lot of cushion in the heel.

http://www.salewa.us/product/alpine+approach/ms-mtn-trainer-mid-gtx-1

and I paid $219 at a local mountain shop.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back