An exercise in humility

jryoung

My wife and I are on the hunt for turkeys and headed out again with our friend R.J. on a ranch about an hour north of us in Lafayette. We met R.J. at 5:15am, jumped in his truck and headed to the 100 acre ranch that is nestled up a canyon in the East Bay. It was about 20 minutes before shooting light and we were headed up the hill, a short walk of 200 yards or so and we hit a Y in the road and paused to catch our breath. I asked R.J. where we were headed and he said he wasn’t sure as we didn’t have a location on them just yet. I said, just give a call and we’ll see if we can get a bead on something. Sure enough they were roosted about 50 yards away. The main road paralleled them, while the break in the Y went away from them around a corner and that’s where we headed to get set up. The road led to a small flat of green grass on a steep hillside, we set up at the far end and started to call.

They answered nearly every call, and soon we could tell that there were two groups, one with at least two birds. Since we were around a corner on the hillside though it was tough to tell if they were coming in or not, their calls neither got louder or quieter. After about 10 minutes of back and forth, R.J. let out a gobble and we could tell they were getting closer. Another minute or two and we knew that they would round the bend any second.

Sure enough a tom appeared in full strut, then standing tail to tail, five toms wide, in full strut, came the posse. It was one of the coolest displays I have seen. The three of us were awestruck for a moment because this was nothing like we had expected, six toms and a hen. They wasted no time coming over to the decoys, caution was thrown to the wind and it was literally a gang rape on the decoys. Here they were at 10-15 yards, one tom on then one would knock him off and another would get on. They clustered around the decoys all in strut, then hen mixed in. Heads bobbing back and forth, there was barely any way to make a shot, let alone two.

Sitting side by side, our barrels tracked toms moving this way and that, one would isolate for a brief moment, but the others would stay bunched, then the moment was gone. I looked for beards to separate the toms from jakes but it was useless. I whispered to my wife “don’t shoot the hen” in case she had not noticed her. My timing was impeccable as a tom separated, but it was enough to give her pause and once again the moment was gone.

It felt like time was standing still and it seemed like they were going to bolt, but a tom would jump on the decoy and the orgy would start again. It was and amazingly raw, primal moment, of a group of males so desperate to breed that it appeared they had let down their guard. It was a display I doubt I will ever see again.

Finally, I told my wife to shoot when she could. I had a tom separated to the left and it looked like she had one to the right. She fired, I fired. My tom darted up the hill, I jumped up to get a shot, he ran, I shot again and missed as he was running away and gone. The forest was instantly quiet, and R.J. said “What the @#$ was that”, it was clear Renee missed too. We stood in disbelief as to not only what we just witnessed, but that we both missed from 15 yards.

Looking back on it all it was such a crazy experience all around. A frenzy of birds and balancing the ethics of the shot, there were multiple moments where one shot would have killed two or three or even five of the birds, our limit was one each. I’m not sure if it was serendipity or not but just a few hours prior to this event as I was lying in bed starting to read Beyond Fair Chase, by Jim Posewitz and had to go back and reread this passage in the opening. While not perfectly parallel, it rings true that both my wife and I recognized there were many wrong shots that could have been taken, and we waited for the few right ones.

The law allowed the taking of antlered bulls, and the hunter searched for antlers as he and the elk maneuvered upward, slowly pushing through thigh-deep powder snow. Then suddenly he saw it-right above him, staring straight at him-an elk, watching him! He studied the motionless face that peered through the tangled timber. It was close; less than thirty yards separated them. The boy was sure he could see the base of the bull’s antlers, but the heavy timber obscured everything else. The two watched each other, first caught in mutual surprise and then frozen in suspended time. The need for a decision was upon them both.

In the stillness of that silent thicket, hearts pounded and tension stretched the minutes. It was the boy’s first chance to kill an elk, and years of expectation had been carried up the mountain to this moment. The elk would not move, not a twitch. The hunter needed something to reveal, to confirm without a doubt, the presence of antlers.

The boy’s father shadowed the stalk, and the youth turned his head, looking to his father for verification that is was right to shoot. That slight motion broke the stalemate, and the thicket erupted as elk bolted and crashed away through the timber. In a moment, silence absorbed the hunters as the sounds of fleeing elk faded beyond the high ridge and into the frigid November evening.

Even still this morning I am somewhere in-between laughing, shaking my head, pick my jaw up off the floor and wanting to cry. Just last weekend, my wife dropped a bird at 40 yards and all week we appreciated that bird and the meals from it. Here what seemed like a “gimmie”, if there ever was such a thing in hunting, was far from it. I am reminded of the great adventures we get to experience, the primal displays of nature, the wonder of grand landscapes and the stories we get to tell. This experience, while there are moments I would love to forget, won’t ever be forgotten and hopefully soon we will be back out looking for more memories while stalking prey.

Well communicated introspection young. Reading it and Mr. Posewitz's passage trip-wired memories I've not re-lived in years.

Great post!!

Nothing is for certain in the turkey woods!!! ...or any hunting for that matter (but especially those dang turkeys :mad:)...

I have missed my share of 'gimmies' at close range with turkeys - the obvious excuse that your super full express magnum ultra long range turkey choke has a pattern the size of a fly's butt at that distance is a popular one for me and my buddies...Although it's more likely 'buck fever' for me most of the time :eek:

"To thine own self be true".......Mr Shakespeare and HuntTalk members should be proud of you. Doing the right thing of holding your shot till all is right for the shot is a hard thing. Well done and great adventuring.

Great story! I guess an Oak style tale would not suffice for this occasion. Went turkey hunting. Missed turkey. :)

Missing chip shots is something I'm pretty good at, so I can definitely relate to your tale. Well told and thanks for sharing.

JR, well told. That shot string was probably just as wide as a baseball at 15 yards. Sometimes they can be too close.

Some of what keeps me going back is the ones that got away...

Back