MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Alaskan Dall Sheep Adventure

B

big28hunter

A couple years ago I booked a dall sheep hunt with Max Schwab out of Healy, Alaska. The time had gone by so fast. It was now real and I was on my way to live a dream of chasing these beautiful majestic critters in the Talkeetna Mountains. I arrived a couple days early to sight see and take some photos. My first stop would be visiting the Cabelas in Anchorage.

Dreaming of a full curl in my crosshairs!

I then headed south at the advise of the guys from the Gun Library at Cabelas. Driving along the famous Seward highway.

One of my stops along the way was Alyeska Sky Resort. Took the lift to the top and enjoyed some beautiful scenery and a great meal. Haibut, fries, seafood chowder, and a great cup of coffee.

Then it was back to the Puffin Inn and time to prepare for my shuttle north with Alaskan/Yukon Trails. During my 5 hour trip north I got to see a clear view of Mt. McKinley and eat at the Dog Shack in Denali National Park.

Ariving in Healy the next day I was met at the Totem Inn by Max Scwab. With the weather being good we quickly headed to the airport to fly into base camp.

Max Schwab

Headed out to camp and leaving Healy behind.

We arrived at camp safe and sound.

With the mountains fogged in I would be staying at base camp for the first night.

The following day it was clear so we packed our gear and headed out in search of a legal sheep. This little guy wanted to come along but my pack was heavy enough.

First camp site out of base camp. Seen several rams along the way but nothing worth going after or legal. Nonetheless excited to be seeing critters.

My guide Ryan and packer Ruby slept differently than I did. I guess us lower 48 hunters aren't as tough.

A beautiful Alaskan sunset!

Hoping for a legal ram under that rainbow.

Further up the drainage we watched this wolverine hunting parka squirrels. Wish I could have gotten better pics and footage of this awesome predator. Couldn't shoot him because their not in season till 9-1-14.

Above the clouds we hunted and glassed our eyes and hearts out for 8 days.

Only to find rams just short of the legal shooting criteria. Rams have to be either 8 years old, double broomed, or full curl. Frustrated but yet mesmerized by the sheer beauty of these animals I counted my blessings for being able to watch them.

Some of these rams were just short by inches and were a mere 120 yards away. My time was up so we hunted our way back to base camp and along the way a picked up a beautiful set of moose sheds. According to the guides probably from a 55 to 60 inch bull. Ruby found the first one and I found the second one. Not the trophy I was looking for but every time I look at them in my mancave I will remember my Alaskan Dall Sheep Adventure.

Seen a few critters coming off the mountain including these parka squirrels and marmots.

Last creek crossing before a warm fire and hot meal.

I gave 100% on this hunt and left with a good feeling in my heart. Ironically I will hunt with Ruby and Ryan again as they also guide for Munsey's Bear Camp on Kodiak Island. Maybe this time I'll brake my white jinx on a long haired billy from the island. Good huntin' and GOD bless

Special thanks to Cory for the packing list he sent me in preparation for my hunt!

What a great hunt. I know Max has a good reputation and am sure they gave it their all. They are an amazing animal and am happy that you got the experience of watching them in that awesome country. Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Sounds like a great hunt. Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a fun trip. Bummer about not getting to squeeze the trigger.

Memories that will last forever! Nice pics. I took the same shot of that rock outcropping twice this year. Once at high tide and once at low. Amazing how much water goes in and out.

Congrats to you on a great attitude after coming back without a sheep. That's why we call it HUNTING! Sounds like you still had a great time.

Great chronicling of the hunt. A few of those rams look like they will be good in a few years. You will have an even better outcome on the goat hunt be sure and give us the rundown. Brings back memories.

Looks like you made the very most of it Bob. Brings back some great memories. You did great. You'll just have to go again for that full curl ram. Congrats on a great attitude and a great experience.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back