Alaknak vs. Big Horn III

Dana

Cabela's has the Alaknak and Big Horn III tents on sale right now. I was curious if anyone had any opinion or experience with either of them. Thanks

My brother picked up an Alaknak at a garage sale for dirt cheap but I don't think he's even used it yet. They look nice though

My hunting group has two of the Alaknak tents, a 12X20 and a 12X12. We make a trip to Idaho every other year and the tents seem to handle all the weather pretty well. One year we got over a foot of snow which we had to make sure was removed from the tent, but otherwise all was dry inside. I personally own an 8 person Big Horn tent which I purchased in the bargain cave. Again this tent has more than held its own. We used it for a family camping trip and got torrential rains one night, all dry inside even though there was an inch of rain on the ground outside. I am extremely happy with the quality of both tents.

I have an alaknak. I really like the tent and have had no problems, you do need the roof protector if you are going to use a stove.

The one big drawback is the size of the poles if you want to pack it on horses. I cut my poles in half and made slip together fittings, now it is ideal for horsepacking because the whole tenst and frame fit in one bag.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like both ought to work out just fine for my needs. Now to decide which one to go with, or another model/brand completely.... that's part of the fun right?

I have never used either, but have looked at getting one or the other. In watching the videos on setup, the Alaknak looks like it would be much better to set up. The 'tilting' up of the Bighorn looks like it could be difficult in windy conditions. FWIW...

I have used a Bighorn II, not sure whatchanges they have made to the Bighorn III, but they don't look any different. The Bighorn I've been part of using and setting up is pretty simple, holds together during some pretty incredible winds and stays dry even in cold snowy or rainy conditions. It's a very good tent.

I own a Bighorn II and love it. It is by far the best tent I have owned. It's not a problem to set up in the wind IMO. We been in it during very bad wind storms, snow and thunderstorms and never had a problem at all. I would highly recommend it. The vestibule is also a very nice addition and extra space.

I own a Bighorn II and love it. It is by far the best tent I have owned. It's not a problem to set up in the wind IMO. We been in it during very bad wind storms, snow and thunderstorms and never had a problem at all. I would highly recommend it. The vestibule is also a very nice addition and extra space.

I would second the suggestion of just how nice the added vestibule is, at least with the Bighorn II. It's a lot of extra space for storage and leaves room inside the tent for moving around.

The Alanak goes up fast no doubt. Except one time Lope hunting in Wyoming. Wind was howling, 11pm at night. I spent a solid hour with that freaking thing wrapped around my head beating me to death. I was so pissed I could have bite a nail in 2.

Don’t know much about the Bighorn, but the one and only problem about the Alanak is the corners, which would not happen on the Bighorn. They like to sag and collect water. You just have to be diligent and keep them tight. Sometimes it just means tight ropes. Other times you have to dig out a shovel full of dirt to get the pole lower.

My crew purchased for me the Alaknak(12x20). It retired my old military cook tent 6 years ago. The Alaknak is roomy, a home-away-from-home, and it rocks! Dink is correct. The one problem are the corners do droop if not perfectly level, and may collect with rain. An easy fix - tight rope or dig. ***I love the pole modification idea above, as it is very light for it's size, and then could be taken back in on horse. We use ours as base camp. It is bomb proof. I set it up by myself in ~20 minutes. I have the vestibule, and floor which are excellent add-ons. Both help save the floor of the big tent. Buy now, and save a few ben franklins.

Thanks for the tip re: water on the Alaknak corners. Dink, man that is funny stuff....gave me a great visual! I'd be getting pissed to, but thanks for the laugh....Hilarious!

I just placed the order for the Alaknak 12x20. Supposed to be here by next tuesday....cannot wait! Thanks for all the input guys!

I have used the alaknak tent with a vestibule and it worked well for elk hunting. Now I am looking to purchase my own tent, I have seen good reviews on the Big Horn III....so my question is can you purchase a vestibule for this tent too? Looking or input. Thanks!

You'll probably get more advice by creating your own post rather than trying to revive one from 2011. That being said, its a Cabelas tent and they don't list a vestibule for it on their website. That would be where I would look for info.

I have used the big horn 3 last year, easy set up, held up great in strong winds and heavy rain, did not have the 0portunity to use in snow,yet, but looking forward too. Highly recommend,does have vestibule option which I purchased on sale after trip!vestibule On sale now I believe in bargain cave.

Back