age this buck

elkfarmer

Here is an 8pt on got on a trail camera. Whats the age you guys think he is? I think he's old enough to have earned the "hole through the lungs award" myself....LOL

Attachments

• 09 8.jpg
    09 8.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 334
my guess is most likely 3.5 or maybe 2.5, depending on where you live. looks young to me, but hard to tell from the pictures. guessing around 120", let him walk...

Well I never set the date and time on the camera. I kinda put him in the 3.5 yr range. On this property there is a group that pushes non stop once gun season is here and throws lead at every deer with antlers they see. this buck is in the upper level of bucks we have around here, so if givin the shot I will take it.

my guess is most likely 3.5 or maybe 2.5, depending on where you live. looks young to me, but hard to tell from the pictures. guessing around 120", let him walk...

agree.... but my guesstamation is definetly teetering on the 2.5 side . let him walk. shoot a doe and fire up the grill. good luck.

2.5 relatively short nose and straight back, pics make a look a little bigger than he is IMO, Nice deer next year if makes it through the gun season!.......at a distance he will get shot!!

Its all in what you want. If your satisfied by letting him walk so he can grow then by all means do it. If not then in the end all that matters is if your happy with the outcome. On public land here in LA anything that sticks its head out gets shot, so use your own good judgement, but on private land I'd say let that 3.5 grow. In a couple years he'll probably be a sure enough trophy.

First thought 2.5 but looked again and now I am thinking 3.5 due to the time of year the picture was taken. looks to be in its summer coat?

Last edited:
Well, he said the place gets hunted hard so my guess would be that he probably wouldn;t make it another year? If elkfarmer doesn't shoot him someone else probably will.

Yeah...2.5 or maybe 3.5 would be my guess from what I can see...it's a young deer as its so squared off, short snout and no belly.
If the place is hunted hard and he's on the upper side of deer in your area...then by all means shoot him and enjoy some good eatin'. If you're able to let him grow another year or two then you'd have a really nice prospect as he's got a nice shape/good width to the rack.

Back