Against all odds: my 2023 season

Cool bull, the one side is super nice. My dads bull is very similar just a lot smaller

Not sure what your outfitters thoughts were but Idaho moose numbers are dropping pretty bad in a lot of areas. I’ve thought of giving up on them and trying for goat or sheep but the truth is goat and sheep, while there maybe less of them, are probably a more stable population right now

Cool bull, the one side is super nice. My dads bull is very similar just a lot smaller

Not sure what your outfitters thoughts were but Idaho moose numbers are dropping pretty bad in a lot of areas. I’ve thought of giving up on them and trying for goat or sheep but the truth is goat and sheep, while there maybe less of them, are probably a more stable population right now
I agree the trend is down. Its also reflected in the bull and cow tags issued. Sadly every state seems to have a declining moose population except Colorado. And they're trying to introduce wolves by the end of the year. When I first started looking at applying in Wyoming in college, it was an estimated 7-8 years to draw the NR moose tag I was aiming for. Now with new tag allocations and population declines/tag cuts, it'll never happen. I know how lucky I am just to have one NR moose tag in today's world and fulfill the dream.

The area I hunted was relatively stable and theyve been putting a hurting on the wolves to help it stabilize. I learned a lot about a new organization - https://f4wm.org/ Its a group of hunters working with other hunters and trappers to help offset wolf trapping/hunting costs. All the people I talked to up there were members and appreciative of the extra income. We saw wolf sign in a lot of places. Right now they're supporting folks in Idaho and Montana who take wolves. I'd encourage everyone to look into them.

Congrats on both moose and I'm glad you held on to all your tags. It's been fun following along, and look forward to your deer hunt. You definitely had crummy weather when you were here but your persistence and super star wife definitely made the difference in your success.

Can’t believe I missed this 2nd moose till today.

congratulations on a super cool bull and getting just the luck you needed at the last minute!

great writeup as well!

On March 8th, just after my second son’s one month birthday, I was feeding him a bottle and deleting spam voicemails from unknown numbers when one stood out from the rest. It was the Colorado SCI chapter calling to tell me Id won the raffle for the 2023 Colorado state wide deer tag or also know as the governors tag. I was ecstatic and didnt know what to do with myself. All my previous hunts with the exception of 2 muleys in New Mexico had been planned around points and draw cycles. I thought I had a good plan in place to hunt hard but not overburden my wife as we have 2 boys under age 3. In fact Id thought I was possibly taking the fall off from hunting just to help out. Id only put in for lottery tags or points so far this year.

Then on May 19th I was on an annual bible study retreat with my wife when I got a congratulations email from Idaho telling me Id drawn a Shiras moose tag and am going on my first moose hunt. After laughing uncontrollably for a few minutes I went to tell my wife.

Her response was “you cant draw two once in a lifetime tags in the same year. Thats not the definition of once in a lifetime.”

Well, here goes what will be an epic fall.

Edit: Well I went to pay my credit card bill and saw a pending charge from CDOW for $2,554. Looks like I drew a second shiras moose tag this season. Unit 15/27. I had been joking with my buddies about drawing this tag this year on top of everything else. Wish me luck talking to my wife.

So now its three once in a lifetime tags in one season!
Epic fall you’re right! Good luck

Mule deer recap so far- the deer are winning/hiding. Ive been hunting hard for several days. Im heading home for a couple days to close on selling our house after moving a couple weeks ago and spend thanksgiving with the family. Then Im coming back for the last week of my deer tag west of 25.

Mule deer recap so far- the deer are winning/hiding. Ive been hunting hard for several days. Im heading home for a couple days to close on selling our house after moving a couple weeks ago and spend thanksgiving with the family. Then Im coming back for the last week of my deer tag west of 25.
See anything good at all?

So since its already the toughest unit for a tag for residents and non residents (20+ points) I dont mind saying Im hunting in the central part of the state. I cant tell you if its the best area in Colorado today but it seems to be the most consistent and its where multiple people recommended I go. Obviously Colorado grows big deer in almost every unit, its just finding them. The area in Colorado Ive hunted the most when I lived here was always in September and I didnt know the late season situation there very well. I also know Id never catch the point creep for a good 3rd or 4th season tag, even if I moved back to Colorado one day, so thats one of the reasons Ive waited to hunt. I wanted the experience Ill never get a chance at again.

Ive met a resident who drew 4th season with 21 points and has been scouting for several days and also met an auction deer tag buyer whos been hunting here solo the last week as well. So far neither of us have seen or (admitted to seeing :) )a good mature buck. Its been unseasonably warm with little snow since early November. We got a little this week thankfully.

Attachments

• 72219040258__E71EA088-5003-4F0C-BB87-47D6F31CA639.jpeg
    72219040258__E71EA088-5003-4F0C-BB87-47D6F31CA639.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Ive hunted high and hiked several miles off the roads. Ive also hunted low watching deer come in and out of private to feed. So far I passed an old gnarly buck who seemed to be going downhill. This was on my second day hunting and it was foggy so I didnt get the best look at him. He was really cool and it was a tough decision.

My best buck is a 150 class 4 point I got about 12 years ago. While hopeful, Im not being delusional about what kind of deer to take on this tag. My biggest thing is hopefully finding a buck with character.

Heres a bad screenshot of the buck I passed. If hed have had back forks, I would have shot him.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Ive torn my truck up good sliding on the snow and the grease (and off the road into a tree). Even the 4 wheeler i borrowed from a friend has struggled getting into some areas. The deer seem to have either not migrated down or got pushed by the snow in 2nd season and went way low onto private. The deer density has been low. I talked to some 3rd season hunters and only heard of one big buck taken, the rest were small-average.

As far as the rut is concerned, Ive seen one hot doe get bred and a little chasing or cruising by young bucks. But ive also seen lots of does with no bucks by themselves. Id watch them for a while to see if there was a buck hiding and following but there wasnt. The harems of does Ive seen seem to be held by 3 year old bucks at the moment. 150-160 class 4 points It just doesnt seem to have kicked on fully yet here.

Im really hopeful for some more snow and subsequent migration and the rut picks up soon. To be continued…

Enjoyed following your 2023 journey....what a ride! I

Been back hunting for a few days. Still not on the same page with the deer. Seen several 160-170 bucks but nothing mature or bigger. Chasing and activity continues to increase. All the 4th season hunters ended Sunday and I just finished my first day of “5th” season. Ive got 3 days left and a family that misses me from a very busy and good fall.

It was a good morning and I got close. Saw lots of chasing and saw a good buck with an extra split on private and walked up on a 180 clean typical with some does. He didnt give much time to think or shoot. After being solo hunting for 7-8 days Ive got a little help now for the last couple days. Still havent laid eyes on a monster but thats ok. Talking to locals and some guides, its been tough for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back