African wildlife . . .

Spitz

Isn't only to be found in Africa. Case in point; I found this guy wandering around the lush west Texas countryside this morning. He was definitely lost, so I thought I'd give him a new home :D

Oryx 2 low mb version.jpg

Oryx low MB version.jpg

Very cool Mike. Curious about the taste. I have only heard good things.

The meat is superb on these. They tend to eat the sweeter tasting desert plants like yucca and I believe that gives the meat a different flavor. I'm hoping he tastes as good as the last couple I've had steaks off of.

He was alone when I encountered him but could have been separated from a group. They're typically seen in pairs or groups out where I took him. Though I believe he had just reached maturity this year so he may have been looking for a group of bachelors to hang with.

They use sparse cover so effectively that it can be fairly difficult finding one in areas there isn't a heavy population of them. I had been to this particular ranch about a dozen times in the last couple years and had only encountered sign before yesterday. Though I imagine if a guy or two were beating brush for a shooter it would have helped tremendously.

Last edited:
Those are definitely cool looking animals. I've been trying to hunt them In NM, judging from my lack of success in drawing a tag, it appears lots of guys think they're cool. That's very kind of you to give him a home. I'm guessing part of him is going to the grill and part to the wall?

Last edited:
Nice animal and lucky hunter.

I would think there would be large numbers of Oryx crossing into Texas. Those animals seem to travel large distance. With MacGregor that close to the border, I think you would see it often.

I am guessing that in Texas there is no license required and you can shoot it as a varmint?

From what I have seen there aren't too many that cross. Of course most of the properties are vast tracts of land controlled by outfitters, but even at that, I've never seen an oryx hunt advertised in the area.

In Texas it's considered an exotic species and you need a license.

Nice work Spitz, great looking oryx.

Any details on horn length?

I need to brush up on judging those things.

Since I may never experience oryx in New Mexico, let me know if more of those need cleaned off the landscape. Have rifle, will travel.

Congrats, Spitz. Looks like great fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back