Caribou Gear

Advise for Mule deer hunt in TX panhandle

Outdoor Man 2

Anyone have advise for me on hunting muleys in the TX panhandle. I have never hunted them, and drew permits to hunt Matdor WMA in between Paducah and Childress for the Mule Deer gun hunt. My buddy went through the area two weeks ago on a pronghorn hunt and said he saw plenty of mule deer and whitetail. The Pease River runs through the length of the WMA, and the area along the river looks interesting. But I am more of a whitetail hunter, and I am wondering if I should be looking for a different type of habitat for muleys.

If there are muleys in the area (no doubt there are), start glassing and once you find them, put the stalk on and nail 'em! Those deer are incredibly adaptive and you can pretty much find them anywhere.

Congrats on drawing the tag. There may be some muleys there but the majority will be WTs. My brother did an intership at Matador WMA. Hunt them like whiteys on likely food/water sources in the mornings/evenings and walk the draws in the afternoons. Lets us know how you do.

My son drew a youth mule deer hunt at Elephant Mountain WMA in west Texas south of Alpine Thanksgiving weekend. Good luck on your hunt, get us some pics.

Thanks everybody, although the permit is for the Mule Deer Gun Hunt, rules are that we can take a Muley or a Whitetail buck; double the chances. I'll put up pics when I get back. In the meantime, these pics are from my bow hunt last week in Sonora,TX. Can't wait for the rest of the season! P1010350.jpg

P1010354.jpg

Love the old school bow in the second picture! Is that an XI? Both of those are really nice bucks, congrats!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back