Advice for GMU 78 CO bowhunt.

ridge63

Looking at GMU 78 for a bowhunt from Sept 13-26 and seeking advice on some areas. Right now I'm focused on the Opal Lake, Chalk Mtns, Fish Creek - Harris and Buckles Lakes south to Price Lakes Road. Any one familiar with the area? I looking at other GMUs but like the area. Am I wasting time and should I be looking for other areas. I hunted 81 last year in the high mesas above 11,000 and had some trouble - experience is the best teacher.

I am from Ohio and not familiar with the places you mention; however in 2012 I bowhunted the same dates you list down in the Piedra Creek area of Unit 78. It was much steeper than I anticipated however we did see elk almost every day. Was not able to loose an arrow but had them within 30 yards on three different occasions. Beautiful country and no other hunters.

The areas you mention get some pressure so you have to find the pockets they escape to.

Piedra cr has lots of private so make sure you know where you are in there.

South San Juan Wilderness is huge! I would look there if you are set on 78. There are a few outfits that would rent horses as well, if you are interested.

At first glance, some of the areas you mentioned are somewhat close to the road. In an OTC unit I would be looking at the wilderness. This can help you out: http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/HuntingAtlas/
Turn on the FS Motor Vehicle Use Map, and look for areas further from the road. 78 is a big country, and the elk move to very remote locations.

I stomped around that area when I was living in New Mexico. I can tell you that the elk are there in good numbers, but the units I hunt now have a much higher elk density. Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back