MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A time for Thanksgiving – Hunting a Lesson in Gratefulness

Landon DeKeyser

I have a lot of friends that don't hunt. Many of them don't understand why I do it. For a long time I have tried to explain why I like to hunt. It usually comes out in a short answer such as "I just really like spending time in the outdoors. You see all kinds of cools stuff out in the woods, and it makes me happier." Then I get a response that something like "well I just don't get why you would want to sit out in the cold for hours. Plus I really don't like to kill things."

I always find myself think "man they just don't get it. If they would just try it out I think they would enjoy it." Hunting is about a lot of different things to me. Its partially about killing animals yes. I do genuinely enjoy the time alone to think. It brings me a sense of peace. I love watching the animals. I find that I am always learning something new about them.

Its also about something deeper than that. Maybe I'm just weird, I don't know, but I really find it helps me to be happy in a way that almost no other activity can. I also love to fish, but hunting I feel has a greater lasting affect on me.

I would love to hear if any of you guys also share similar views. You can read an in depth article I wrote on this topic here http://lifestylelost.com/index.php/2016/11/22/hunting-and-gratefulness/

With hunting season slowly winding to an end, and Thanksgiving a few days away. I felt this topic was fitting and others may enjoy.

Some of the best days I have ever had have been sitting on a hillside. I will say how I hunt and why I hunt have changed since I first started. When I started it was about the kill I always wanted my limit of what ever I was after. I would wade through chest high water in jeans to get my last duck.

As I have grown up I like to go outdoors and just be alone with nature. I'm with you on being weird. I do enjoy my time hunting with my family, growing up that was some of the best days of my life was hunting with my whole extended family at deer camp.

I would rather carry a camera with me more days than a gun or bow. I truly love just being in nature surrounded by what she has to offer. I do not get the same effect fishing as I do hunting. Something about the breeze in your face and that smell of fresh air when it fills your lungs it is almost intoxicating. If I could get paid to sit on a hillside and ponder life... now that truly would be dream job...

Some of the best days I have ever had have been sitting on a hillside. I will say how I hunt and why I hunt have changed since I first started. When I started it was about the kill I always wanted my limit of what ever I was after. I would wade through chest high water in jeans to get my last duck.

As I have grown up I like to go outdoors and just be alone with nature. I'm with you on being weird. I do enjoy my time hunting with my family, growing up that was some of the best days of my life was hunting with my whole extended family at deer camp.

I would rather carry a camera with me more days than a gun or bow. I truly love just being in nature surrounded by what she has to offer. I do not get the same effect fishing as I do hunting. Something about the breeze in your face and that smell of fresh air when it fills your lungs it is almost intoxicating. If I could get paid to sit on a hillside and ponder life... now that truly would be dream job...

I find that is true for me as well. The older I get the less about this kill it is. I think its because new hunters and fishermen want to prove themselves and thats ok! Through that process we learn the real reason for being out there.

I don't the same affect from fishing either. I spend a lot more time fishing than hunting though. I have found that river fishing while wading gives me a more of the hunting feeling.

My grandpa always used to say the same thing about carrying a camera instead of a gun. It wasn't until the last few years that I started to understand that. I used to hunt with him and beg him to shoot any deer that walked by as a kid. He would just smile and say "I don't need to shoot that deer." That was long before I killed a deer. I get it now :)

Being a new-ish hunter, sitting on a clearcut this past Thursday is when it really sank in. Light was fading, and I had seen 4 bucks earlier that day. Does and fawns were feeding into the cut, and watching them was awesome. Then, out of nowhere this deer comes barreling in - I knew from its determination that it was a buck. Finally got to see the 4" or so long spikes on his head, and this guy was chasing these does around. They were bigger than him! I got a good rest as soon as he came in(there was a piece of a log nearby) and at one point he was ~150 yards broadside. I had the safety off and the crosshairs on him and I just couldn't do it. I got so much more just watching him chase those does around than I would've gotten from him being in my freezer. Besides, there wasn't much of him there to put in the freezer.

As far as fishing, I switched to fly a long time ago and I'm almost purely C&R these days. Every once in awhile I'll keep one or two(when/where legal) for dinner. When I first took up fishing, it was all about limits though.

Being a new-ish hunter, sitting on a clearcut this past Thursday is when it really sank in. Light was fading, and I had seen 4 bucks earlier that day. Does and fawns were feeding into the cut, and watching them was awesome. Then, out of nowhere this deer comes barreling in - I knew from its determination that it was a buck. Finally got to see the 4" or so long spikes on his head, and this guy was chasing these does around. They were bigger than him! I got a good rest as soon as he came in(there was a piece of a log nearby) and at one point he was ~150 yards broadside. I had the safety off and the crosshairs on him and I just couldn't do it. I got so much more just watching him chase those does around than I would've gotten from him being in my freezer. Besides, there wasn't much of him there to put in the freezer.

As far as fishing, I switched to fly a long time ago and I'm almost purely C&R these days. Every once in awhile I'll keep one or two(when/where legal) for dinner. When I first took up fishing, it was all about limits though.

I know the feeling. I unusually have a handful of deer in my bow sights and cross hairs before I actually shoot anything. I love watching them more than anything. I'm glad you are taking up hunting. I actually prefer to fish most of the time, but hunting teaches some life lessons that fishing just does not capture.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back