Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

A second rifle for a Magnum rifle owner

What non magnum caliber would you choose as a second rifle when you already have a .30 cal magnum?

• .223 (Keep it)

Votes: 10 8.0%

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 7mm-08

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • 6.5 Creedmore

Votes: 33 26.4%

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • 30-06

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
I just built up a hunting rifle for my son. It’s a Weatherby vanguard with a 20 inch barrel. I am really I,pressed with the round and think a 22 inch barrel would make it a great non-mag rifle. I have a 300 WSM, a 257 Weatherby and now the 7mm-08. I can’t tell you the last time I used the 300 WSM. I prefer the 257 but have really been thinking about a 7mm-08 for myself after my son’s rifle build.

I reload so ammo availability is not an issue.

It's not the Parker Hale but come-on this is Classy with a capital C ! 6mm Remington in it's elements. 100 gr. Nosler Partition.

View attachment 148590

2rocky I also apologize for this going just a wee bit sideways. My answer though is still 6mm Remington. You 300 would handle probably everything you would want to hunt but.............a lighter recoiling flat shooting boom stick is just what you need!
I'll trade you a case of pbr for the rifle. It fit's a niche, or percieved need in my gun safe, between the 257 bob, and the 7x57.

I started off with a .270 Win 20+ years ago and absolutely LOVE it with 130 grain Nosler BTs for whitetail (haven't used it for anything else, but other deer sized game is on the WANTED List including pronghorn, mule deer, black tail, and if I was ever lucky enough to WIN a sheep hunt at a raffle, because otherwise I could NEVER afford it). My brother gave me 150 grain Nosler Partitions to load up and try, which I definitely will. I did however get a steal of a deal on a .300 WSM (saved over $300) last Sept. So I did the reverse. I would vote for the .270, but it isn't on the list. My youngest brother LOVES his .270 Win as well, has taken many WTs over the years and his first mule deer this past Oct at 400 yards.
But if I was doing the reverse and had a .30 cal magnum and wanted to try a non magnum cartridge, but decided not to go with my beloved .270 since my brother has one and it would be fun to try something else it would be the 7mm-08 (which from what I have heard and even seen on video at least is an absolute laser beam). Or go with the .308 especially if you reload and like 150-180 grain pills in your Magnum, you could share at least bullet components and save money that way and see if the .308 likes them too.
You didn't state your intended purpose for this non magnum cartridge? Will you be hunting deer sized game and above, predators and varmints, or just an all around non magnum, etc... Since I have a .270 Win and .300 WSM my next caliber if I was to get one would be in the .6mm family or .25 cal family like the .25-06 or .257 WBY Mag Death Ray that I hear about often. I plan on building an AR in .223 for predator/varmint hunting and cheap target shooting fun as well. Oh and I would love a .44 or 45 cal Lever gun for hunting in straight wall cartridge states like my neighboring state Ohio is.

If you’re using factory ammo, check the ballistics on the 130gr vs. 150gr Noslers for your .270. In my view the 130gr is a better performing bullet in that caliber.

I’d keep the 223 and then buy a 7mm-08 or a .308 when you can swing it. If you don’t reload a 308 is an excellent choice (great choice if you reload too). There is every kind of excellent factory ammo you can think of available in .308.

I voted .243 because 6mm wasn’t on the list. Either will take the animals you listed, less recoil for a loaner rifle. The 6 will do it with more style and class, but the .243 will get it done. This is a period that I find myself without a 6. Going to fix that as soon as I find The One! Too much ammo sitting around that needs shot.

I voted .243 because 6mm wasn’t on the list. Either will take the animals you listed, less recoil for a loaner rifle. The 6 will do it with more style and class, but the .243 will get it done. This is a period that I find myself without a 6. Going to fix that as soon as I find The One! Too much ammo sitting around that needs shot.
We need to demand to be counted! How can we vote when the best candidate isn't on the ballot?

7MM-08 is a really nice and light recoiling gun. My friend has killed a lot of deer with his.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back