PEAX Equipment

A second rifle for a Magnum rifle owner

What non magnum caliber would you choose as a second rifle when you already have a .30 cal magnum?

• .223 (Keep it)

Votes: 10 8.0%

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • 7mm-08

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • 6.5 Creedmore

Votes: 33 26.4%

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • 30-06

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

2rocky

After winning a .223 Howa 1500 "ranchland security" rifle in a RMEF raffle a few years ago I became a 2 (centerfire) rifle owner for the first time. I upgraded to a VX-1 scope in 4.5-14x on it.

It might be used as a lender rifle for guests on targets, Blacktail deer, coyotes or hogs.

FWIW, I can borrow and will likely inherit (in a long time I hope) a 25-35, 30-30 .270 and .264 Win Mag

I voted 7mm-08. If I were you though I would go with what might work for you. 7mm-08 is nice as plenty of reload options and as you already shoot a 30 cal did not see the need of another, though I do have a 30-06 and a 308. 243 might have been my second choice though if I were to go smaller it would be 25-06 or another 25 caliber.

I also voted 7-08, if you want a step down option might as well get the most out of it. Also a wide array of reloading options and plenty of factory options if you don’t want to mess with it

Great question! I was torn between 7mm-08 and 30-06 but voted '06 based on enhanced versatility as a true backup or future go-to.

As a proud Parker-Hale 6mm Rem owner, I raise my glass in your direction.
Amen brother! I have to give you a plug for your Parker Hale too! I have a buddy who has one in 6mm and man it's a beautiful rifle. Mauser action, pretty wood, great cartridge! What's not to like?? Mine's a Ruger 1B single-shot with the 26" barrel. I got one of the Ruger's with really pretty wood also. Love that classy rifle.

Amen brother! I have to give you a plug for your Parker Hale too! I have a buddy who has one in 6mm and man it's a beautiful rifle. Mauser action, pretty wood, great cartridge! What's not to like?? Mine's a Ruger 1B single-shot with the 26" barrel. I got one of the Ruger's with really pretty wood also. Love that classy rifle.

Thanks, it is a beauty.

It's not the Parker Hale but come-on this is Classy with a capital C ! 6mm Remington in it's elements. 100 gr. Nosler Partition.

1596057576540.png

2rocky I also apologize for this going just a wee bit sideways. My answer though is still 6mm Remington. You 300 would handle probably everything you would want to hunt but.............a lighter recoiling flat shooting boom stick is just what you need!

I voted to keep the .223. Good for predators, fun & cheap target shooting, can set up kids and inexperienced shooters behind it with less risk of a negative experience.

Uhmmm...that thing is gonna need it's own thread with pictures please.

You got it!

It's not the Parker Hale but come-on this is Classy with a capital C ! 6mm Remington in it's elements. 100 gr. Nosler Partition.

View attachment 148590

2rocky I also apologize for this going just a wee bit sideways. My answer though is still 6mm Remington. You 300 would handle probably everything you would want to hunt but.............a lighter recoiling flat shooting boom stick is just what you need!

Oh, that is just as classy as it needs to be. That's beauty - both of them!

@2rocky I apologize for the sidetracked 6mm Rem conversation. I voted for 6.5 Creedmoor in your poll. Yes, the cartridge takes a ton of flak that only some of its users deserve. Yes, I'm speaking of flat-brim dudes in shower shoes and their sister's trousers if you need a more specific description of the demographic of which I speak. It's not a do-everything cartridge, but it's really good at what it does and it's not very expensive. The 7mm-08 is a great selection, but you asked me to choose and I did. That said, my 14 yr old has a sweet little Ruger Hawkeye that I had cut down for him that's suppressor ready in 7mm-08. But, if I were to build that gun again, I'd probably pick the 6.5 CM.

If you don't want to jump into the 6mm Remington, I understand. You're not going to find it at Wal-Mart, but it's still readily available online. If you jump into 6mm Rem and don't handload, then just buy it a case or two at a time. Core-Lokts are great, too. I hope that's helpful.

OH, HExx. I just re-read your dang poll and realized that you're thinking of selling the .223 to buy something else, not fill the chasm between the two. My stars, man - keep it! I changed my vote. Buy a 6.5 later...or a 6mm Remington if you want to join us in the vintage cork sniffers corner.

No need to get rid of what you’ve got. Good for the range and varmints. Light recoil and cheap to shoot

Keep the .223. Hours of trigger time on the cheap. I do it, except with a .222 Remington. mtmuley

Back