A REALLY bad day !!!

Got to agree with Buzz. Take the knock, be glad you have the pictures and memories, and don't let it eat at you. Try to reason with him, and see if he might find your horns/cape, but in the end its a waste of time and money to take him to court. I've lost a few critters to taxidermists. I've come to the conclusion, like Buzz, that you can spend a fortune to recover something that isn't worth the money you've invest in it. It has sentimental value and nothing more, really. A paper trail is a must with any taxidermist, and a written contract is better yet.

I keep horns/antlers until the taxi calls me to bring them down. There is no reason that they need to have them in their shop until they're ready to mount it. Prep time is minimal, and I usually do it for mine anyway.

I almost lost my best mule deer, and after 18 months I knocked on the guys door when he was at home and just about got shot... I did get my deer back and was dam glad it only cost me a $300 deposit. Taxidermists are cut from a different cloth, many can't run a business to save their life, which results in shady things happening to stay afloat. I'm worried when the day comes and my current taxi retires.

I agree with BUZZ.....:D

but..... instead of getting all mad or wasting your money on small claims courts.... you still have some fine pictures, and that is perfect, might not be the mount you wanted but a nice painting on canvass and framed looks a hell of a lot better on the wall and doesn't easily cared for... clean the glass.... my buddy did that of a picture with his dog and 3 limits of ducks on an opening day..... I like that better than any mount that he could have done....
Matt

I'm in the business. Things like this can and do happen. It very well could be a mishap. Tags come off get mixed up etc. But his reaction makes me think he knows very well that isn't your animal. I see it all the time.

Trigger50,

Sorry to hear about your situation, that is not right on so many levels. I hope you get your trophy back.

I personally love European skulls and years ago I got tired of paying taxidermists to treat me like second class customer because all I wanted was a skull mount. Now I do museum quality Euro skulls for myself, friends and a few customers, too. If you get a chance at another trophy animal and you'd like to have the skull cleaned, degreased, and whitened I would be happy to take care of that for you at no charge.

Buzz, you are a true games man, great to have someone like you on this thread and in the world. Trigger, my gut sank when I heard your story from Chuck (my brother), I wish you the best in resolving this issue. A set of horns like this could be sold for good money, I'm not saying he did... I am just saying!

Oh, and if you want something for the wall...I have 30+ pronghorn Euro's including several that are in the size range of the one you shot. One sort of close to what you have there...you're welcome to it.

One of the nicest things I've seen posted here. Nice offer Buzz.

If nothing else, make sure that the entire community where that clown lives, knows what kind of a crook he really is. That is totally unacceptable and he should not get away with it. Taxidermists are in business to give people their memories if the form of a mount, not to destroy them.

That guy needs an ass beating for flying off the handle at you.

I get way too attached to my trophies, I can't even imagine how I'd handle that situation.

I feel for you, and I've got my fingers crossed it was an honest mistake and the guy turns your horns up.

Didn't surprise me at all that BuzzH would make an offer like that. I've PMd him and had some chats with him on the phone and he's a stand up guy that knows his shit on many different subjects. Way to go Buzzer!!! I just don't see any court action getting the OP anywhere, but I'd probably do some polite threatening to take that route if he didn't take some kind of positive action ASAP. Two years ago when my Dad was dying some "friend" down the street from him in San Antonio was supposed to just clean his .243 Sako that was coming to me after Dad passed. Dad passed away and when I told Mom I was coming down to help her take care of all of Dad's things, including his prized .243 that was the only gun he wouldn't give me before he passed, she said she didn't have it. To make a long story short, the guy gave a long song and dance with a bunch of lies and BS reasons about no longer having it. I sent him a certified letter and gave him two weeks to return it to my Mom with the alternative of my coming down and filing a stolen rifle complaint against him. Funny how that rifle was back to my Mom in less than a week after he received that letter and I've shot 3 antelope with it the last two seasons. The funny thing was that it was a big bluff because I didn't have a serial number to even properly identify it, LOL, but the bluff worked!!!

Last edited:
Didn't surprise me at all that BuzzH would make an offer like that. I've PMd him and had some chats with him on the phone and he's a stand up guy that knows his shit on many different subjects. Way to go Buzzer!!! I just don't see any court action getting the OP anywhere, but I'd probably do some polite threatening to take that route if he didn't take some kind of positive action ASAP. Two years ago when my Dad was dying some "friend" down the street from him in San Antonio was supposed to just clean his .243 Sako that was coming to me after Dad passed. Dad passed away and when I told Mom I was coming down to help her take care of all of Dad's things, including his prized .243 that was the only gun he wouldn't give me before he passed, she said she didn't have it. To make a long story short, the guy gave a long song and dance with a bunch of lies and BS reasons about no longer having it. I sent him a certified letter and gave him two weeks to return it to my Mom with the alternative of my coming down and filing a stolen rifle complaint against him. Funny how that rifle was back to my Mom in less than a week after he received that letter and I've shot 3 antelope with it the last two seasons. The funny thing was that it was a big bluff because I didn't have a serial number to even properly identify it, LOL, but the bluff worked!!!

Good thinking. You got him scared for sure!

Well, here is my final post about this horrible experience. The game warden finally got back to me...there's nothing that he can do (or wants to do). I discussed the legal aspect of it with a lawyer friend of a friend & decided that its not worth legal action. I don't have conclusive-enough proof that the lesser mount he presented isn't mine.
So I called LEE'S TAXIDERMY, FURS & GINSENG in PRESCOTT, WI to try & settle this matter. The conversation lasted about 1 min. He insists that the lesser 12" buck w an abnormal point, is the one that I brought in & then he proceeded the "tell me where to go". Realizing that this matter wasn't gonna go anywhere, I then stated, "so you are gonna ruin your reputation over this ?" He then called me unrepeatable names & threatened me w violence" and then he hung up. Thank goodness that I didn't have any money down on this mount !
Some friends want me to file a police report over the threat, but I have decided for my family's safety to just let it go. Some other things came to light during this ordeal that r also influencing this decision.
Thanks for all your support during this horrible experience.

Last edited:
How do we insure that when you Google ( LEE'S TAXIDERMY, FURS & GINSENG ) this thread is one of the first results?

First search result I came up with had this review.

Lee is a friendly home town guy, but is very unprofessional & his work is below average. His shop is a disaster, clutter & junk everywhere. I saw mounts, heads etc w no tags or identification on them.

Guess that ties in with what happened to you. Sorry things worked out that way.

I said that I wasn't gonna post anymore @ this horrible experience, but I got a good laugh today when I received a copy of the taxidermist's response to my complaint that I filled w the state. He is a professional crook ! He claims that this incident is not under any laws pertaining to commerce because he was doing the taxidermy work for me at NO CHARGE !!! I actually laughed when I read his lies. He said that my photos of my antelope are fake! Then he exposed himself for probably stealing my horns on purpose when he stated on his report that he didn't trust me because I came into his shop too often & hung around too much !!!! All the business I brought him & he didn't like it ??? So he just hung himself out to dry...he doesn't like people in his shop a lot because it make him nervous ???? Nervous of what ??? He has a coffee pot & 3 extra chairs in his shop ? I guess he doesn't like hunters & trappers in this small community gathering at his place to share stories over coffee ! So he basically thought I was an undercover officer & he did this to draw me out ! Betcha this guy has a lot of friends, the way he treats customers who just want to be friendly & learn more about trapping.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back