A little weekend project

That is exactly the look I am wanting for my new Tikka T3 light. Thanks for the beta, I may try it on my wife's rifle 1st in a different color to get the technique down. Nice job.

mike r

Thanks, guys. It was a fun little project.

Zach, I ended up using Duplicolor Self-etching primer and Rustoleum Multi-colored Texture (Desert Bisque). I was going to go with standard Rustoleum primer, but am glad I switch to the Duplicolor stuff.
Did you apply multiple coats and did you put a flat clear coat on top to seal it ?......:cool:

I did two light coats of primer to keep things as even as possible. I did the same with the paint. Several light coats 15 minutes apart until the the finish was about equal to two normal coats. I know this isn't very scientific, but I am no expert on this topic.

I will give an after action review on this following the upcoming bear hunt.

End Result

The finish held up well bear hunting last week. You can see a few wear marks, but they haven't penetrated the finish.

I doubt it had a lot to with getting this bear, but it looked good doing it. :hump:

IMG_1968.jpg

Great looking setup really like the way everything came together topped off with some pretty nice optics if I may say so;)

How's this paint holding up Ross? Would you still use the same paint/primer combo if you were doing it again?

The end result with this has exceeded what I expected. I think curing time is critical with these rattle can jobs. I would say 2-4 weeks at a minimum before it sees any abuse.

Here it is on my elk hunt this last fall. Really no worse for wear. (The pack out was short, so full legs)
image.jpg

Last edited:
I recently aquired a really nice shooting Winchester M70 in 300 WSM that is going to become somewhat of a project rifle for me (thanks to a great Hunttalker). This was actually my intent when started out with my .260 build last spring; which quickly got away from me, and turned into a custom build.

This weekend I had some free time on my hands, and thought I should start working on some of this DIY stuff, and maybe refinishing the stock might be fun. After work friday, I stopped and picked up some supplies. I decided to go with a paint designed for refinishing old metal patio furniture, as it shoulld be pretty tough, and had a nice silica sand texture to it and gave kind of a speckletone finish. I also got some primer that worked on composites to improve the durability. The next step is going to be working the trigger, and the plan will be to try and tip over a bear with it in a month or so.:hump:

Anyway here are some pics:

View attachment 40631
View attachment 40632
View attachment 40633
View attachment 40634
View attachment 40635
I really like this I am about to start a project and that is the exact color I was looking at using. My build has a stainless barrel and action also

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back