Axe head restoration project

okie archer

I recently started another form of hunting. Metal detecting is something I have wanted to do but just recently bought one and started. My church was started in about 1915. I've been told that when it started people would ride horses and wagons to church. I've also heard that the property was possibly used as a wagon depot of some sorts. I have found a few wheat pennies but no silver coins yet. However I did find this axe head lying flat between 6"-8" deep. I decided to try to restore it. I started out by soaking in evaporust for a week. Next I used a grinder to penetrate the rust, then a sanding disc, then a belt sander with 120 grit, then 220 grit with orbital sander. Finally was wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper. I used a file some to work out the chips in the edge.
I heated in oven then used gun blue to help prevent surface rust. The blue was to dark so more wet sanding. I bought a new hickory handle and sealed it with boiled linseed oil.
I really like the pits and patina. Im intrigued by the mystery of it. Who's was it? When was it lost? How long has it been buried? How did it sink that deep? It would have been gone forever but the metal detector sniffed it out. Now it has a chance to shine again! I could use it but probably will just hang it by my fireplace.
IMG_20231009_162621.jpg
IMG_20231019_192538.jpg
Pic is before I finished the handle.
IMG_20231022_175001.jpg
IMG_20231022_180811.jpg

Last edited:
I recently started another form of hunting. Metal detecting is something I have wanted to do but just recently bought one and started. My church was started in about 1915. I've been told that when it started people would ride horses and wagons to church. I've also heard that the property was possibly used as a wagon depot of some sorts. I have found a few wheat pennies but no silver coins yet. However I did find this axe head lying flat between 6"-8" deep. I decided to try to restore it. I started out by soaking in evaporust for a week. Next I used a grinder to penetrate the rust, then a sanding disc, then a belt sander with 120 grit, then 220 grit with orbital sander. Finally was wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper. I used a file some to work out the chips in the edge.
I heated in oven then used gun blue to help prevent surface rust. The blue was to dark so more wet sanding. I bought a new hickory handle and sealed it with boiled linseed oil.
I really like the pits and patina. Im intrigued by the mystery of it. Who's was it? When was it lost? How long has it been buried? How did it sink that deep? It would have been gone forever but the metal detector sniffed it out. Now it has a chance to shine again! I could use it but probably will just hang it by my fireplace.
View attachment 298401
View attachment 298402
Pic is before I finished the handle.
View attachment 298403
View attachment 298404
That old double bitted axe has seen a lot of use. Nice resurrection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back