Yeti GOBOX Collection

A little weekend project

MinnesotaHunter

I recently aquired a really nice shooting Winchester M70 in 300 WSM that is going to become somewhat of a project rifle for me (thanks to a great Hunttalker). This was actually my intent when started out with my .260 build last spring; which quickly got away from me, and turned into a custom build.

This weekend I had some free time on my hands, and thought I should start working on some of this DIY stuff, and maybe refinishing the stock might be fun. After work friday, I stopped and picked up some supplies. I decided to go with a paint designed for refinishing old metal patio furniture, as it shoulld be pretty tough, and had a nice silica sand texture to it and gave kind of a speckletone finish. I also got some primer that worked on composites to improve the durability. The next step is going to be working the trigger, and the plan will be to try and tip over a bear with it in a month or so.:hump:

Anyway here are some pics:

M70 Stock Refinish 1.jpg
M70 Stock Refinish 2.jpg
M70 Stock Refinish 3.jpg
M70 Stock Refinish 4.jpg
M70 Stock Refinish 5.jpg

Good job on the texture..looks grippy. Nice color combos. Tactical-chic..:).

I have the same rifle and was contemplating the same thing.....You just helped me make a decision. Any insight on the type of primer and paint you used would be helpful.....:cool:

thats a great looking set up. ( I'm also partial to the 95th Anniversary FXDWG in the background)!!

Looks great, like that finish. Interested to see how it holds up, as far as nicks, chips and dings.

Interested to see how it holds up, as far as nicks, chips and dings.

This is my concern as well, but for the 15 bucks and a few hours of effort I put into it, it won't be a huge loss. We sprayed some of our rifles in AFG and the stuff scraped off really easy, but those were pretty light coats, so I am hoping with a good primer and a harder paint it will hold up better.

I am going to let it cure for a couple weeks before I bring it to the range again. I have read that spray paint actually takes a couple weeks to fully harden.

That looks good I may have to do that to my Savage that I antelope hunt with.

I am wondering what a coat of matte clear Aluma Hyde from Brownells would do to it. Tough coating!

Southwind, Thanks for the tip. However, when I called Brownells, they said they didn't reccomend overspraying another coating unless it was Alumahide, as it can mess up the other paint pretty bad.

I guess we will just have to see how it goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back