A little crowded?

stopp429

Hey guys this is my first post on here. This is my first year hunting in the bozeman area. I have hunted the Bangtails (olsen and jackson creek) and there are a ton of people. Is there always this many people up there? I cant go anywhere without running into people. Also i havent seen any elk or decent deer all year up there. We have searched hi and low and only see tracks a few days old. Any tips on getting away from people when in the hills? Were getting off the road and hiking a ways but just lots of people.
thanks.

I've lived in Bozeman,Missoula, and Helena, and hunted a significant amount around all three of those cities. Though they certainly exist, there are very few seldom-visited honey holes within 45 minutes of any of those towns. If thrift and ease of access appeal to you, you're not alone.

Go farther. There seems to be an inverse relationship between hunter herd sizes and the minutes(not miles) you are from one of the half a dozen populated Montana valleys.

I hear you on that. I have been trying to get farther back in but by the time you do there is somebody on a four wheeler or snow machine on the trail and some times off the trail. Is flathead pass any better for getting away from people?

Bridgers and Bangtails are tough... lots and lots of people! The elk sit down in the private fields... also, once you do get way, way back there. A four wheeler will come cruising up and when you ask them how they got in there, they will show you on a map that they own land on the other side of the BMA and/or national forest land and that they have had an easement to go through. Obvisouly some motorized trespassers too but also some legit people back there on motorized vehicles. Probably the last place I would choose to go elk hunting.

Those places are examples of how roads negatively affect elk hunting.

+1. A lot of people fail to realize that the logging companies and private loggers hired are back there all spring and summer- driving all around and running saws all day. It's not like they will magically come back during hunting season

+1. A lot of people fail to realize that the logging companies and private loggers hired are back there all spring and summer- driving all around and running saws all day. It's not like they will magically come back during hunting season

I know we can't live without logging, but the RY is also a good place to show how roads (and cows) == weeds. You start getting close to a road and all of a sudden knapweed, hounds-tongue, thistles, etc start showing up. None of that is good for wildlife.

Thanks for the input its greatly appreciated. I think I will head into the caynon and give it a whirl to see if I can get my first elk down.

Thanks for the input its greatly appreciated. I think I will head into the caynon and give it a whirl to see if I can get my first elk down.

Check the regs to make sure you don't get in a special regs area, and watch for G. Bears.

true elk hunting means that elk never come easy (luck doesn't count)so for every step you take away from the roads and quad trails your success quotient increases exponentially

Get away from roads and trails anywhere in the area and you should get into something. I've had buddies have success in the bangtails, away from the roads. While I'm not going to give you an exact location, the bridgers and mt Ellis area hold good elk numbers.

Thanks for the advice hopefully i will be able to connect with one this year. So with all of this advice im taking the Spanish Creek trailhead area would be a good place to start.

Thanks for the advice hopefully i will be able to connect with one this year. So with all of this advice im taking the Spanish Creek trailhead area would be a good place to start.

Some good advice so far........ but sometimes there is more to getting away from people than just parking at a trailhead and putting miles on your boots. The three areas yo mention in this thread are three of the most obvious and well known access points.....and not just for hunters. a good rule of thumb is that if you are parking your rig in a large well maintained parking lot....... you Re going to have company. Dig out your map and find some alternative access points.

The folks at the bully-pulpit put together a really good site for scoping land: http://map.mtbullypulpit.org/

There are always exceptions, but I find things get easier about two miles from any road or large ranches that don't allow hunting since the elk just get chased onto those ranches.

It's not the best conditions right now... If we get any major storms the elk will get easier to find as they move to lower ground.

So there is a road that goes to red knob mountain that comes off the madison and goes thru Turners land. Its called Cherry creek rd. Tt shows it on my hunt chip and on my FS travel map. Has anybody gone on this road? Is it blocked like most of the roads that go onto Turners land? I have seen roads like this and get up there and they end up having a chain or gate across the road. Im getting really tired of all this private land locking state and federal land that we pay for.

That road is gated, sorry. If you want to check out Red Knob you can park by the Ennis dam on the other side and its not a terrible hike from there, but lots of horse guys go into that area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back