A few more Sharptail

Nemont

Saturday was the waterfowl opener but I just can't get excited about waterfowl when the temps are going to get above 80.

So a friend and I decided to find some sharptail. I don't take pics like the rest of the guys but here are few.

Found this old car literally in the middle of nowhere. It apparently makes a good place for birds to perch and a nice targe. It almost looked like Bonnie and Clyde's car.
PA031741.jpg

Which side of the fence do you think we found birds on? (caveat I am from a ranching family and understand grazing cows alittle but this was almost criminal IMHO)
PA031744.jpg

We were headed over the hills to where the trees are in the lower right.

PA031756.jpg

Even though we were hunting a block management area the birds acted like they had never seen a dog or a hunter. All held tight. After the first flush and some a terrible display of shotgunning skills on my part we began to put some birds in the bag. End up with a limit in a little over 2 hours of hunting.

PA031748.jpg

My buddy and my dog Jess.

(note to self rock piles don't make very good backgrounds for the bird pics. )
PA031751.jpg

The road home for the long 15 minute drive back to my house.
PA031757.jpg

Sunday was cold and rainy and I got out to shoot some geese. No pics of that though because I was afraid the rain would ruin my camera.

Happy hunting and only 5 days until pheasant open here.

Nemont

Nice pics.

T-Bone, I threw some sage hen into the goose jerky mix and smoked it up. Tasted pretty good, and we are going to try some sharptail jerky this week. Can't be worse than frying it.

Nice going!

Have you found a way to make sharpies edible?

My buddy in the picture makes them into to jerky and it is good.

I also don't mind sharpies like this:

Bone out the breast sharptail. Then marinade them over night in a chipotle marinade.

chipotle marinade

one 7oz can chipotle peppers w/ adobo sauce
1/2 cup extra virign olive oil
4 clove garlic
juice of one lime
2 Tbsp cumin seed
1 tsp oregano (or marjoram)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 cup tequila (sometimes I like to put some in the cook also :))
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
3 Tbsp mesquite liquid smoke
2 Tbsp brown sugar

in a small pan toast the cumin seed, then grind them to a powder in a spice mill . mix with the oregano , black pepper , and salt and sugar in a blender , or food processer, add 1/2 a can of chipotles for medium hot , or the full can for hot. add garlic cloves , tequila , and liquid smoke, and the spice mixture drizzel oil in till the mixture emulsifies, and is
thick and smooth , then blend in the cilantro leaves. if the mixture is too thick,it may be thinned out by the addition of other liquids such as water or beer could be used for added flavor.

Marinade over night in a ziplock bag.

Then grill on a hot grill until done to your taste, I like them just pink not raw in the middle. Just can't eat them rare.

There are a couple of older couples in town here you want sharptails also. Won't take pheasant or huns but will eat every sharptail I drop off, haven't figured that one out yet.

Nemont

Nice work on the Sharpies. I like eating them.

That one picture of the grass on one side and grazed to $hit on the other, looks like the Curlew National grasslands in Idaho. Grazed to the dirt on the public side of the fence and lush grass and lots of birds on the private property side. Go figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back