Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

7mm-08

I haven't looked at the Marlins much. I know they have an adjustable trigger and I shot my brother in law's 30-06 last fall. It felt ok but I didn't think it was better or worse than my savage and I figured where Marlin is new to the game I may stick with the Savage. It's kind of the same for the new Mossberg's they look cool and have a lot of features for the price but until I'm convinced they will still be making them 10 years from now and I won't have to have a part fabricated if something breaks I'll stick with a little more trusted brand.

$ 330 for a kids shooter that is sub MOA...I'll risk it.

That's about the price + accuracy range of the guns I'm looking at. I looks like the Savage 11, Weatherby Vanguard and I haven't ruled out the Marlin yet I just haven't found one in 7mm-08 that I could play with yet. I just got a sale ad from Cabela's they have the Savage Edge rifles for $250 but not in the right caliber.

I'm thinking 7 MM 08 for my next antelope/long range rifle. From what I heard they shoot really flat and fast out to long range. I want something I can easily shoot out to 500 yards and have reliable accuracy. I'll keep the trusty old 30.06 for elk and hopefully moose at some point.

I'm in the same boat as you. I saw that Nosler makes a 175 grain partition for the 7mm-08 looked at the foot pounds out to three hundred yards and it looked good to me I can't quote any off the top of my head though. I have shot one before (about six years ago) and there was very little recoil seemed equal to like a .243 to me. Like I said though the 175 grain bullet would make it a good bet for elk. I am looking for a model 7 or ruger compact it seems like alot of the youth models are composite and women don't see whats so beautiful about Black rifles ;)

I just looked at the new Weatherby Vanguard S2. I think I will be waiting until I can check one out before i try to decide on a brand.

I'd think the 160 partition in the 7-08 would be proper elk medicine...just not sold on the 175 being the best bet in the 7-08.

Having never been around a 7-08 much, I could be wrong as well...but I do know the 160's work pretty fair in the 7 RM.

The 7-08 sure seems to have a lot of good things going for it...

John Haviland, a gunwriter from MT, and his family have tipped over something like 30 elk with a 7-08 and mostly 140ish grain bullets and that with only a 18.5" barrel. Just think of it as a modern 7mm Mauser which has probably taken every critter on the planet at some time or another.

6speed,

I reload for my wife's model 7 7-08. I make reduced loads with 4895 and 120 gr bullets that she does all her practice with. When hunting season rolls around, I sight in with a full power load. She has never noticed the recoil difference when shooting deer.

PS....you are very brave to post her weight........no way would I do that after seeing my wife shoot!!!!

Jeff

I have the opposite problem . . . see, my wife is 6'4" and 245 pounds (she'd beat me to death if she knew I posted her weight, really) and she just thinks my .300 win mag is a sissy gun. Any advice on what I should get her? :D

7mm-08 was the first rifle I ever shot. I was like 10 or so and im still shooting so it obviously wasn't enough to scare me off. Decent knock down power for a gun with little recoil and finding ammo for em is not a problem either. Definitely recommend it for her! Good luck!

I have the opposite problem . . . see, my wife is 6'4" and 245 pounds (she'd beat me to death if she knew I posted her weight, really) and she just thinks my .300 win mag is a sissy gun. Any advice on what I should get her? :D

She needs a .50 cal hahaha

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back