At home rifle “build”

Lyfter1013

I remember a thread a while back that got into talking about prefit barrels for Tikkas and a couple guys were asking questions so figured I’d post what I put together over the winter to show how easy it is with prefit barrels. I have never done any type of gunsmithing so I’m not some expert I did work on this with a good friend who is very knowledgeable which gave me a lot more confidence.

I started off with getting a Tikka action for a decent price there wasn’t much local in stock any cheaper than getting an action. In hindsight if I did this again I probably would buy a Tikka off the shelf, sell the barrel and stock and get a little back from that.

After getting the action I ordered a 24” proof prefit in 6.5 prc from Stocky’s (they had a sale going on), midway had a sale for the 22” barrels that was very hard to pass up I can’t remember how much cheaper but it was significant but I didn’t want to sacrifice speed.

Ordered a Tikka action wrench and screwed the barrel on with my buddys barrel vise and torqued to spec. I changed out the trigger spring and installed a 20 moa rail.

*edit forget to mention headspace was checked with go no go gauges*

Next for the stock, my original plan was to put this gun in a MDT HNT26 lightweight folding chassis. I placed the order and they said it would be 4 weeks and it would be in. Fast forward 6 weeks called them back and they had pushed out the date an additional 6 weeks. Well that wouldn’t work I had already signed up for a couple long range shooting clinics and needed to get this gun finished and load developed. So I cancelled that order and ordered a mesa precision stock and dropped it in.

Last edited:
I was still undecided on a scope so my buddy let me try his nightforce for load development and the long range clinic. I
Now have a Leupold Mark 5 on this rifle.

Load development was the easiest of any rifle I have loaded for we started with 54grains of 4831sc with the 156 bergers and it shot great even during break in. And shot great for the clinic and was accurate out to 1000 yards my first time shooting at that distance.

This gun is way more accurate than I am.

One thing I found interesting was how much this barrel sped up after about 100 rounds after break in and sighting in we were only getting around 2800 fps. After a few range trips and the long range
Clinic we checked velocity again when we were setting up my new scope and the velocity had jumped to 2930-2940. I am
Seeing no pressure signs and could increase powder but I am so happy with the accuracy I don’t have the desire to touch it.

Just thought I’d share this with everyone I know some guys are iffy on the
Prefit barrels but this worked out great for me and it was really cool to
Do all the work and see it come together.

Here’s a couple pics of the gun.
IMG_5540.jpegIMG_5543.jpeg

Great looking rifle!

New barrels generally speed up 100-150fps after 100rds or so. Nothing to worry about there.

Did you get the Mesa bottom metal as well?

Great looking rifle!

New barrels generally speed up 100-150fps after 100rds or so. Nothing to worry about there.

Did you get the Mesa bottom metal as well?
thanks I’m very happy with it.

I wasn’t worried about the speed up I was worried it wasn’t going to pick up that much and I’d have to develop a new load to get better speed.

No I didn’t get the mesa bottom metal, tbh didn’t know they had one for the tikka. What’s the biggest benefit? It’s just going from plastic To aluminum?

thanks I’m very happy with it.

I wasn’t worried about the speed up I was worried it wasn’t going to pick up that much and I’d have to develop a new load to get better speed.

No I didn’t get the mesa bottom metal, tbh didn’t know they had one for the tikka. What’s the biggest benefit? It’s just going from plastic To aluminum?
The Aluminum bottom metal can handle more screw torque without causing magazine issues.
The Mesa bottom metal looks exactly like the factory, I prefer it over OMR and Mountain Tactical.

Last edited:
The Aluminum bottom metal can handle more screw torque without causing magazine issues.
The Mesa bottom metal looks exactly like the factory, I prefer it over OMR and Mountain Tactical.
Thanks for the info, that will probably be something I add this winter after all my hunts.

I can hear a 22” 300 WSM or 7mm PRC calling my name, “BAKPAKR, BAKPAKR, BAKPAKR…”

Question to you folks who have a Mesa Precision Arms Altitude stock, is it rounded on the bottom ahead of the front action screw? I had an R700 version for a short time and I really liked the feel of it in my hand when carrying it.

I don’t like the feel of the squared off OEM Tikka stock.

Last edited:
I can hear a 22” 300 WSM or 7mm PRC calling my name, “BAKPAKR, BAKPAKR, BAKPAKR…”

Question to you folks who have a Mesa Precision Arms Altitude stock, is it rounded on the bottom ahead of the front action screw? I had an R700 version for a short time and I really liked the feel of it in my hand when carrying it.

I don’t like the feel of the squared off OEM Tikka stock.
Flat on the bottom and slightly rounded on the sides. That said, I've always found the Altitudes to be a comfortable carry.

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
Funny, I can hear a 22" 6.5 SAUM, PRC, or Sherman calling my name - "You can justify it as being a good starting point for the kids..."
I agree I convinced myself this would be a perfect rifle for my daughter to learn on. Then I can build myself another one next year in 7PRC

Back