60% Resident increase?

Here's a CPI cost comparison tool: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=34&year1=2005&year2=2017

Keep in mind, the proposed increase needs to be MORE than what CPI would have made it, to make up for the missed out increases over the last 15 years, as well as be ahead of the curve for the next few years where we won't get an increase, since there is still no proposal to tie it to CPI for some reason

I'm unclear if the whining is about that or spending $75 to get to hunt a state with 270,000 elk?
Even at minimum wage, all these guys (sniveling about a $20 increase in a deer permit) could have earned enough to cover their family's total price increases AND new Rocky boots for all, had they spent their time shoveling snow instead of whining on this thread.

Even at minimum wage, all these guys (sniveling about a $20 increase in a deer permit) could have earned enough to cover their family's total price increases AND new Rocky boots for all, had they spent their time shoveling snow instead of whining on this thread.

Shoveling snow is a rich mans game anymore. Have you seen the price of a snow shovel these days?

Seriously a good shovel can run you $5 more than a CO resident deer tag, things are crazy out there in the tool world. I'm probably going to have to give up shoveling because of the cost... hopefully there are some other residents of CO to take my place.
shovel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get Coloradans complaining about tag allocation and or ranching for wildlife. I don't get complaining about resident costs when you are lucky enough to get a tag to buy. If the agency is using it properly I would have no qualms.

Seriously a good shovel can run you $5 more than a CO resident deer tag, things are crazy out there in the tool world. I'm probably going to have to give up shoveling because of the cost... hopefully there are some other residents of CO to take my place.
View attachment 68522

That shovel will run you about 700 bucks in Colorado. :D

When you say you can't get a deer tag every year, do you really mean you can't get the one you want every year? I just did a quick search and found like 30+ units that are 100% draw for a CO resident for 2nd choice tags. Even more if you are willing to take about 50% of drawing.

One thing you need to keep in mind when trying to compare your resident deer hunting opportunity to people from back east. Many states back east have little to no public land, and what public land there is does not produce trophy class deer. If you think you are going to be hunting premium deer country with quality bucks in many of these eastern states just because you are a resident, you are very very wrong. Yes the tags may be cheap and yes you may be able to get multiple tags, but if you want to be hunting good ground you better bring your check book and be ready to drop some $$$ on a hunting lease.

Not in Wisconsin....we have tons of acres of public land! If you are wise and look into pieces of land that are "private" but open to hunting you can get into some huge huge whitetail bucks! All for the low low price of a $80 NR tag as a first time buyer or $170 every year after that. That tag includes one buck and one doe.

Boo whoo!!! About time Colorado residents pull their weight and increase the fee on residents instead of breaking the backs and pocketbooks of non-residents. Every single year they raise the fee on non resident hunters with no rhyme or reason. I have zero sympathy for you and I think you whining about it is a absolute joke! You can get TWO deer tags in Wisconsin for $80 as a first time buyer and $180 every time after that! Plus each doe tag after that is $20!! You get now sympathy from me. Time for colorado residents to pull their weight!

As many of us have said - a lot of residents are in favor of an increase. There are arguments as to why/how, and mostly around the appropriation of funds, but as a rule, most hunters I've talked to are for a moderate increase.

That being said, there is a Rhyme and a Reason to NR increases. Every year they increase according to the CPI per statute.

Not in Wisconsin....we have tons of acres of public land! If you are wise and look into pieces of land that are "private" but open to hunting you can get into some huge huge whitetail bucks! All for the low low price of a $80 NR tag as a first time buyer or $170 every year after that. That tag includes one buck and one doe.

I concur with the hidden opportunity in WI (I was a resident, my dad's side of the family has lived in Wisconsin for ~100 years).

The comparison of WI Whitetail tags to CO Elk tags is absolutely apples to oranges, however. Just look purely @ Supply and Demand - I believe the estimated whitetail population in WI is ~1.2 million. We have ~275,000 elk.

Beyond all that - I share John's opinion - it's puzzling that NR's get so worked up about our resident fees mostly based on NR costs. CO is inline (actually - we are generally cheaper for NR and more expensive for Residents) with every other Western state on BOTH.

As far as 'pulling our weight' - When adding up the total for a non-resident to hunt Elk in CO as a multiple of resident costs to do the same ($629/$49), we are almost exactly in the middle of that ratio compared to the rest of the Rocky mountain states.

We have 1 of 2 true OTC options in the West for Elk, allocate more tags to NR than any other state and have tag costs that are generally less than the other states. Why so much vitriol?

Why so much vitriol?

Probably because you guys are crying about $20 bucks. One bottle of good scotch or whiskey $40 and up but nobody even thinks twice about that, or a 12pk of beer $15-$20.

By the way I own none of that high dollar stuff because I'm cheap and I find it to be totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
FYI - my 5 year old earned more than $20 shoveling snow this winter so he can afford the extra tag fees now. He can barely piss in the toilet without hitting the wall or the floor but he could earn extra money shoveling snow.

I'm unclear if the whining is about that or spending $75 to get to hunt a state with 270,000 elk?

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure out that the tag increase has nothing to do with elk and how CPW manages them. I think the fisheries program really appreciates any increase in tag prices, R or NR.

It amazes me that the holier than thou don't understand it has nothing to do with the minimal increase, but how the money is spent. Maybe if CPW spent the money on ELK it wouldn't be an issue.

Again, accountability. KISS....

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure out that the tag increase has nothing to do with elk and how CPW manages them. I think the fisheries program really appreciates any increase in tag prices, R or NR.

It amazes me that the holier than thou don't understand it has nothing to do with the minimal increase, but how the money is spent. Maybe if CPW spent the money on ELK it wouldn't be an issue.

So you're saying the CPW should be split apart into different agencies to separately manage deer, elk, antelope, birds, rabbits, fish, maybe a separate entity to manage a park where non hunters and non fisherman can take their kids? Just so your $$$ are not allowed to be used for anything other than elk? Rediculous.

1. Several people have indicated they don't like how the CPW is spending their budget, but I have not seen any concrete examples. Can someone provide a link to actual data they don't like or a news article reflecting the same?
2. $50 is less than the tank of gas to get to just about any hunting spot. It's hardly worth mentioning, much less complaining about.

So you're saying the CPW should be split apart into different agencies to separately manage deer, elk, antelope, birds, rabbits, fish, maybe a separate entity to manage a park where non hunters and non fisherman can take their kids? Just so your $$$ are not allowed to be used for anything other than elk? Ridiculous.

Nice try, not sure how you got that I was wanting CPW split into different agencies. Is that another ancient Cree interpretation? What I'm saying is that instead of asking for ALL the increases to come from Big game, you actually increase the license fees for FISHING also. And when it comes down to what CPW actually spends to "manage" the elk is ridiculous. Imagine how much the Big Horn could benefit from some of that fisheries money.
Parks IS under a different budget, unless I'm being lied to at all the meetings I attend.

1. Several people have indicated they don't like how the CPW is spending their budget, but I have not seen any concrete examples. Can someone provide a link to actual data they don't like or a news article reflecting the same?
2. $50 is less than the tank of gas to get to just about any hunting spot. It's hardly worth mentioning, much less complaining about.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2016/May/Item_20-Financial_Update.pdf

Back