Yeti GOBOX Collection

60% Resident increase?

Definitely appreciate it!

Do you think that Wisconsin will allow non-res to apply to hunt elk when your population gets large enough? or will they take the stance that Michigan and Minnesota has and limit the draw to only residents? Pretty sure you are 100% not allowed to complain about non-res elk hunting in CO if your state has elk herds that non-res can't hunt... no matter how small a herd.

Personally I don't think you can compare the west to the great lakes in terms of elk. We are dealing with extirpated populations and the VAST majority of residents will never get a tag. Also, at least in WI and MI (I'm not familiar with MN) most of the elk herds are found on state and county forests, not federal lands. I really don't care one way or another whether non-residents can get tags for elk in WI when/if they become available. The chances of I or any non-resident getting one are just about 0. I can't imagine why someone from Colorado would even care about the fact that they can't put in for elk tags in the great lakes states.......

Also, nowhere have I complained about non-resident costs for Colorado

Guys will spend $50+ on candy bars, pop, pizza, sandwiches, and chips at the gas station but then cringe and bit$h when people talk about $50 for a buck tag. Blows my mind. The actual tag that allows you to go hunting in the first place is by FAR the cheapest expense of the entire experience when you compare it to your gear and what you spend along the way and it isn't even close. We need Bernie! Free tags for everyone!!!!

I feel like you could argue that everyone should pay the same price for a tag to hunt on Federally owned land, both residents and not residents of any state. Does living in a state give you more rights to federal land than someone who lives out of state? Shouldn't we all pay the same amount to hunt on federal lands? Private property and state owned lands I can see being priced differently. A main focus of this forum is to help keep public lands public for everyone to use. Letting a state charge more for a non-resident hunter who will be hunting on federal land seems counter productive to that argument. I'm super new to all this so maybe there are many taxes and other fees/money residents pay for these in state federal lands that I don't know about.

I don't know how to figure this question out, but what would the CPI rate be for a R tag? I know the NR tags go up by the CPI and we haven't had a raise in a long time, but what would our R tag cost according to the CPI?

I did some research, since noone will answer my question. I'm not sure if this is correct, and I'm a little apprehensive about possibly looking stupid. According to what I found, the CPI rose to .6% in January '17. So, if I'm figuring this right, a R elk tag would rise in price by $2.76 and a NR elk tag would go up by $38.46 by this year's prices according to the current CPI. Is this correct? I'm not at all good with math.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think you can compare the west to the great lakes in terms of elk. We are dealing with extirpated populations and the VAST majority of residents will never get a tag. Also, at least in WI and MI (I'm not familiar with MN) most of the elk herds are found on state and county forests, not federal lands. I really don't care one way or another whether non-residents can get tags for elk in WI when/if they become available. The chances of I or any non-resident getting one are just about 0. I can't imagine why someone from Colorado would even care about the fact that they can't put in for elk tags in the great lakes states.......

Also, nowhere have I complained about non-resident costs for Colorado

I can't argue with this. (although not sure how the state forest versus fed matters?)

For me it's more the principle of the thing.

I feel like you could argue that everyone should pay the same price for a tag to hunt on Federally owned land, both residents and not residents of any state. Does living in a state give you more rights to federal land than someone who lives out of state? Shouldn't we all pay the same amount to hunt on federal lands? Private property and state owned lands I can see being priced differently. A main focus of this forum is to help keep public lands public for everyone to use. Letting a state charge more for a non-resident hunter who will be hunting on federal land seems counter productive to that argument. I'm super new to all this so maybe there are many taxes and other fees/money residents pay for these in state federal lands that I don't know about.
The Federal Government (Public) owns the BLM & National Forest lands, the States own and manage the animals upon it. That's why it's priced differently. You can go hiking and bird watching on the Federal ground, but not fish or hunt without a State issued license.

I did some research, since noone will answer my question. According to what I found, the CPI rose to .6% in January '17. So, if I'm figuring this right, a R elk tag would rise in price by $2.76. A NR elk tag would go up by $38.46 by this year's prices according to the current CPI. Is this correct? I'm not at all good with math.

.6%=.006 and is from just 1 month and would be $3.864

from 2015 to 2016 it was 2.1 so $13.52 non res and 1.03 for Residents

RMEF via fwagner post said:
I believe RMEF is going to engage in this topic more in the future than we have in the past. It is my hope, and I talk about it regularly, that residents are getting a sweet heart deal in many states now but they need to ante up a little more in the future.

Sweetheart deal = MT. I hope Montana's fish/hunt population would come around to a similar 60% Resident increase as suggested for CO. There is more demand than the $ supply provides. I hope one day to hunt CO. A warm welcome from a couple WY, CO and ID HT friends have me hoping to branch beyond my Resident opportunities.
Anyhow, glad to see RMEF looking to reach into this often Resident resistant issue. It is certainly time considering all we demand to protect our incredible wildlife.

John to answer your original question... Resident costs haven't risen since 2005 so here is a table that shows what the cost would be if it was tied to CPI
CPIREs.JPG

Why are NR's so concerned with what we pay for tags in the first place? :confused:

Why!? Because every time Colorado needs more funding they put it on NR. Why!? Because since I have started elk hunting the cost of tags has risen $200! Why!? Because when I come to Colorado I spend hundreds of dollars on gas, lodging, food, and other expenses. Let me be clear....I have ZERO problem with residents getting the bulk of the tags and opportunities. But don't break the banks of NR when you need more money for conservation. Also, as pointed out in one of Randy's podcast episodes, don't ask me for help writing letters on public access, or funding for the RMEF when you don't say a word about us getting price gouged year after year!

So, we should pay more because you CHOOSE to hunt here and have to pay for gas and food and whatnot? That's precious. So, by your logic, when I hunt in the states outside of Colorado that I CHOOSE to hunt in, I should demand that residents pay more because I had to travel to get there and pay for my own food and whatnot? I'll have to remember that.

Yes, we should pay more. It seems this argument comes up from non resident every time a resident issue comes up. Didn't this just happen a few months ago with Wyoming?

For those Colorado resident hunters saying "oh my god a 60% increase"! A 60% increase when you are paying next to nothing to begin with is very little. Get over it. It would still be a bargain at a 100% increase.
Let's put it into context compared to the stuff guys have no problem paying for.
$1500-3000 rifle and scope
$300-400 for good boots
$250 for brand name pants
$100 brand name shirt
$300-$500 brand name jacket
$2500 swaro spotter
$2000 swaro scope
$2500 swaro binos
$275 badlands pack
The list could go on and on...

Last edited:
So, we should pay more because you CHOOSE to hunt here and have to pay for gas and food and whatnot? That's precious. So, by your logic, when I hunt in the states outside of Colorado that I CHOOSE to hunt in, I should demand that residents pay more because I had to travel to get there and pay for my own food and whatnot? I'll have to remember that.

Yes, we should pay more. It seems this argument comes up from non resident every time a resident issue comes up. Didn't this just happen a few months ago with Wyoming?

I'm saying that if additional funding is needed that it should be spread evenly throughout all hunters of that state both Resident and NR. And yes, you should show a little respect and appreciation for the fact that the increases have been shouldered entirely by NR up to this point. We NR are a huge boon to your states economy and deserve respect for that.

For those Colorado resident hunters saying "oh my god a 60% increase"! A 60% increase when you are paying next to nothing to begin with is very little. Get over it. It would still be a bargain at a 100% increase.
Let's put it into context compared to the stuff guys have no problem paying for.
$1500-3000 rifle and scope
$300-400 for good boots
$250 for brand name pants
$100 brand name shirt
$300-$500 brand name jacket
$2500 swaro spotter
$2000 swaro scope
$2500 swaro binos
$275 badlands pack
The list could go on and on...

Obviously we are in different income brackets because I have nothing like your list states. But I have noticed hunting is becoming a fashion show lately.

And I thought my Rocky boots on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods for $100 was kinda high??? Maybe I'd be a better hunter if I didn't hunt with a $400 rifle and $200 scope too! At least others would think I was a great hunter by my fashion :p

I just am amazed that you guys don't care where the money goes just that it should cost more? CPW could be going broke paying for transgender treatment for all its employees and everyone here would support a fee increase for it I reckon

We are all lucky to be able to hunt fish hike etc in the great outdoors. We are lucky to live in a diverse country where we can travel and chase game of all species. My friends hate seeing Minnesota and Wisconsin plates come duck season driving around with their boats and kayaks. For me I encourage it if you have the time and money to travel and spend it outdoors who am I to complain as long as you are a good steward of the land and following the laws. I understand we all get defensive over our home states and we can get frustrated by others.

I believe it is a mutual respect that needs to be had by both residents and nonresidents. If someone is willing to pay a good chunk of change for a tag, gas, food, lodging etc they deserve some respect for contributing to your state. Likewise nonresidents need to respect landowners and citizens and the land in general for your state giving outsiders the opportunity to take in what it has to offer.

I think we got bigger issues than why someone is paying more than others for a tag on our hands right now..

Just my 2 cents

Happy Wednesday!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back