6.5x284 for spring Bear

35whelen

The gun shop ordered the wrong caliber instead of 280AI, they got in 6.5-284.

Carbon 26" 1:8

This is my first 6.5 caliber, so im looking for range limits and load recommendations.

????? Did you order a 280AI, or was it one of their expected arrivals? Either way, who the hell confuses a 280 AI with a 6.5-284 during the shipping process? I'd not accept it and demand an immediate correction, if you haven't already done so. That's just too for out in left field to continue business with that shop........

156 eol .020 off with some rl 26 probably in the 53-55 gr range.. It will do just about anything you planned on doing with the 280 AI

Energy drops below 1400 @ around 800+ yards, ballistics are practicality identical to a 168 @ the same velocity in .284

Last edited:
My wife killed her first bear with a 6.5 along with a few other critters and even a couple bulls...... it'll be plenty. Gotta say that's a hell of a mess up on their part, I'm surprised you accepted it? 6.5 will do you just fine.

btw is that a blue tick I see for your avatar pic?

My wife killed her first bear with a 6.5 along with a few other critters and even a couple bulls...... it'll be plenty. Gotta say that's a hell of a mess up on their part, I'm surprised you accepted it? 6.5 will do you just fine.

btw is that a blue tick I see for your avatar pic?
Yes it is

My only rifle is a .264 win mag, taken 4 bears with no issues.

I like 140 grn partitions or 120 grn etips. I’ve heard excellent things about hammers but haven’t tried them yet.

With a long heavy bullet a 6.5 is a great big game option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back