Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

6.5 cm hate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Let me preface this by pointing out I realize how petty this is, but one sole jack wagon at the range several years ago turned me off from ever wanting a 6.5cm. We started a conversation and within 30 seconds of speaking with no prompting he pointed out he was a cop and rattled off all manner of marksman instructor he supposedly was when he was in the military. I asked what he was shooting and he said 6.5cm and stated the exact specifications of every part of his hand loads. He then proceeded to tell me how anyone that’s interested in shooting accurately isn’t really interested in doing so if they don’t shoot a 6.5cm. Also told me I had no business trying to sight my new scope in with the bullets I had brought with me because the boxes had separate lot numbers. I started to tune him out at this point but did catch something about him shooting whitetails at 800+yds with his rifle. This was all within 5 minutes of meeting this man. I could tell this guy was just one of those that wants to toot his own horn all the time and if you didn’t agree with him you were obviously just some pleb who hadn’t been enlightened yet. Obviously not worth putting any credence to what he says but man he sure rubbed me the wrong way.

I left the range that day and my petty side said I’ll never own a 6.5cm and would continue driving tacks and smoking deer with my .30cal bullets. :D

this same conversation has happened to myself on multiple occasions but it usually goes along the lines of "Why would you ever need to own any other gun than a 30-06"

I see plenty of asssholes driving Dodges, but that doesn’t keep me from owning one. My GAF meter is really bottomed out on this.

I'm glad the rifle companies figured out how to sell more rifles. Problem is what happens with the 6 POINT 5 falls out of vouge?

I don't hate on it, but think its funny how so many think its a magic round that is super accurate, and kills anything that walks. It is just like 150 others in its class of medium bores, better than some and worse than others for certain applications. I've shot a 260 since about 1999, and killed a bunch of critters with it. I know what a 6.5cal is capable of, and its not ideal for the big stuff IMO, but works well on medium game. YMMV. I'm not into target shooting and making tiny holes, I'm into putting meat in the freezer, so could care less if it shoots super tight groups off a bench in ideal conditions. A rifle is a tool for me, nothing more, nothing less.

Luckily there are a number of companies making them in Kuiu, so you can match them to your jammies.

I'm glad the rifle companies figured out how to sell more rifles. Problem is what happens with the 6 POINT 5 falls out of vouge?

I don't hate on it, but think its funny how so many think its a magic round that is super accurate, and kills anything that walks. It is just like 150 others in its class of medium bores, better than some and worse than others for certain applications. I've shot a 260 since about 1999, and killed a bunch of critters with it. I know what a 6.5cal is capable of, and its not ideal for the big stuff IMO, but works well on medium game. YMMV. I'm not into target shooting and making tiny holes, I'm into putting meat in the freezer, so could care less if it shoots super tight groups off a bench in ideal conditions. A rifle is a tool for me, nothing more, nothing less.

Luckily there are a number of companies making them in Kuiu, so you can match them to your jammies.

Agreed. Especially the tool part. That is all a rifle is to me, too. It is something to put meat in the freezer with. No more, no less. I'm only into targets to keep my rifles tuned.

My issue every time a new caliber is introduced is how many hairs need splitting on our options for bullet weight, coefficient, drift, speed, flatness, energy at impact, bolt throw length, rifle weight, etc?

Do people get bored with a good-shooting rifle and go trade for or buy a new rifle? I guess is like golfers and putters where is always a miracle putter design rolling out of the factory that will turn the casual golfer into the next great golfer. Maybe the issue is not the putter. Or the rifle. Maybe is the person holding said item.

.30 cal and under are considered small bores.

Good day, sir.

Haters on both sides.

In all seriousness hunters are no better than teenage girls when it comes to fads. From matching camo outfits down to underwear/panties to brands of gear and calibers of guns it's just out of control. Hunters are even worse about buying gear just because someone on TV wears it as well. Any of these popular hunters could sell dopy hunters any brand they want of boots/bows/guns/trucks/optics simply by saying they like it and posting on social media. I recently even saw a social media post with a hunter selling tires. No different than teenage girls and boy bands.

A few long range shows start showing off the 6.5 apollo creed and next thing you know they can't keep them on the shelves at bass pro. Half the hunters hate them, half swear by them. Yep, just like teenage girls keeping up with the kardashians.

Remember when nobody painted their face except maybe Haloween? Now they check makeup several times a day while hunting, just like teenage girls.

Notice how many selfies we see on social media from hunters? Again, just like teenage girls.

Boy you hit the nail on the head for sure I've said this for years and yes I've fallen for it a few times also. Sometimes things do make quite the difference when some latest and greatest technology hits the market. But most of it is a Peter measuring contest 99% of the time I think.

"Luckily there are a number of companies making them in Kuiu, so you can match them to your jammies".

No dog in the fight. Just want to acknowledge that for fans of Sitka jammies, they can pick up a Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 in their favorite pattern as well.................

I would like to extoll the virtues of the venerable 7x57 - I unabashedly like it because it is really cool. Fad lover as I am.......

The 6.5 is the blue one.

[video=youtube;0XOKvFyNquM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XOKvFyNquM[/video]

What I've learned from this thread so far is "real" hunters can't own a popular round/rifle, have matching camo, or a corona...even on cinco de mayo! Eye opening for sure. I'm glad my hunting buddies give me s*** and aren't so picky!

I picked up my 6.5 as a tool to fill the freezer with. I could care less about all the hype. It fit the bill for what I was looking for in a caliber and there were plenty of ammo options to pick from.

I picked up my 6.5 as a tool to fill the freezer with. I could care less about all the hype. It fit the bill for what I was looking for in a caliber and there were plenty of ammo options to pick from.

Bingo! Same here, sir!

I picked up a 270 as a tool to fill my freezer. I didn't have to grow a manbun, shave my pubes, have a meme or a socially conscious small batch organic handcrafted beverage to wash down my ethically sourced meal either.

The 6.5 manbun might be fun if my friends didn't find out - kinda like a slump buster.

Carry on - this is entertaining.

x9CRL34.jpg

I'm into putting meat in the freezer, so could care less if it shoots super tight groups off a bench in ideal conditions. A rifle is a tool for me, nothing more, nothing less.

Right! I mean, who cares about accuracy?! Shooting tight groups at practice is for schmucks and putting the first shot through the boiler room is TOTALLY overrated anyway...

I’ve been enthralled with the merits of 6.5 bullets ever since I read Jim Carmichael’s article on “his” .260 in Outdoor life back in the 90’s. Of course, other hunters had the same revelations decades before.

While the Creedmore fans are getting all excited finding nothing that was never there before* the fact remains bullets of decent SD at moderately high velocity kill game pretty well. It’s pointless to get too worked up on either side of the argument.

*if someone can tell me where I got that line without googling, I’ll send you $5.00.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back